Chapter Ten

When Edward arrived home with Diego and explained his overall situation to his parents, Esme immediately began fussing over the boy. She fetched him some clean clothes- which were Edward's since him and Diego had a similar build. Rosalie joined in, although cautious of the newborn, she was also furious at Victoria for changing him so young.

Diego looked a bit overwhelmed by the new attention, but he didn't have the heart to tell Esme to stop. Especially not when she made Carlisle go to the hospital and get a blood bag for Diego because she noticed his eyes were getting darker. He thought Esme had to be the sweetest woman if she was doing all this for a random kid. It made him feel safe with the Cullens. Edward smiled at that thought.

Jasper was perched in the corner of the kitchen where everyone now stood waiting for Carlisle. His eyes followed every movement Diego made, Edward knew that was just a habit Jasper developed when it came to newborns. He could also feel the small waves of calm washing over the whole room, it was probably what made Diego comfortable enough to talk to Esme about his likes and dislikes.

Carlisle came back from the hospital with at least five blood bags. He offered them to Diego who popped one open and started sipping on it like it was a juice box.

"I didn't expect y'all to be so nice to me. Riley told us you wanted to kill us." Diego casually spoke while sipping on his blood bag. That however was a shock to the whole family. What reason would Victoria have to say that? Would it make the army forget about their bloodlust for the town of Forks and focus solely on the Cullens? Only Jasper seemed to understand why she said it.

"It's a scare tactic, she had Riley use that as a way to herd them." Diego pointed at Jasper with an approving look just as he finished his drink.

"This guy knows what he's talking about, I like him." Jasper smiled slightly at Diego, thankful for the compliments. The interaction eased the family a bit, if Jasper lowered his guard around Diego, than they really could trust him. The newborn got up and tossed his blood bag in the trash, he gathered his other ones in his arms and wandered off to the spare room Esme said could be his

He soon came back and plopped himself back onto his stool at the counter. Diego knew if he wanted to help Bree, Fred, and possibly any of the others he'd have to be completely honest with the Cullens. He didn't have a reason not to trust them anymore, if they really were out to kill him like Riley said, why didn't Edward kill him at Diaspro's house? He looked Esme in the eyes and saw all her concerns, and that made his final decision.

"Riley is the right hand man to that lady, y'all called her Victoria right? She never shows her face, we just hear her voice, or she has Riley doing the talking." Edward remembered Alice's visions, they couldn't be sure about whether or not Victoria was behind the army because Alice hadn't seen Victoria at all. In every vision Riley was front and center, but now it made sense. Victoria somehow found a way to play around with Alice's visions and be completely invisible in them.

"First time I saw her was when I followed Riley when he left the warehouse, I was scared for him ya know? He told us sunlight hurts us so naturally when I saw him leaving in the middle of the day I tried stopping him. I found out Riley was a liar, he walked right outside and nothing happened to him." Diego remembered vividly how he saw Riley completely sparkle in sunlight, he remembered how he felt betrayed, and the realization of how he'd been lied to.

"I followed him till I saw him with some redhead lady, and I don't know but it just clicked, she's the lady we never see, I just knew it was her. So I confronted both about why they'd lied to all of us, and just how much else was a lie. Victoria or whatever her name is, she tried to kill me, so I ran." Edward felt despair when he heard Diego reliving his thoughts, he was genuinely terrified, and he thought he was going to die. Thankfully he was faster than Victoria and Riley. Sadly he wasn't paying attention to where he was running and slammed right into Diaspro's living room, and her vase.