Chapter Eleven

The doorbell rung almost feverishly through the house. You could tell the ringer wanted to ring a second time but didn't want to risk overkill.

Carlisle went to the door, already knowing who stood on the other side. As soon as Seth came into view it was obvious the boy was nervous. Playing with his fingers, tapping his foot, his skipping heart made it sound like he was about to have a heart attack.

"Hi Mr. Cullen, is Diego here? I mean of course he's here I can smell him- wow that sounds really weird."

He paused and although still fidgety, Seth straightened out and looked Carlisle right in the eye.

"What I mean to say is, is Diego okay?"

The vampire gently placed a hand on the teen's shoulder and automatically Seth deflated.

"Just give him time Seth."

♡♡♡♡♡

Later on Diaspro went to check on Diego herself, knocking on his bedroom door. She didn't really know what to say or how to say it. Diego just lost someone who according to the universe or the Gods, was destined for him. Despite not knowing what to say, it was better than not saying anything to him at all.

"Diego? I'm sorry about Bree."

The teen was just lying on his bed, staring dead at the ceiling, and Diaspro was certain he hadn't moved in days.

"I'm not. You know, there's always been this 'what if' about soulmates, whether they exist or not, I mean yeah, you find someone you really love and start thinking 'we're definitely soulmates'. Well being a vampire helped me find mine, and I loved every second with her, how many people can say that? How many people can say they've definitely found their soulmate? Not a lot, but I'm glad I'm one."

"That's a beautiful way to think of it." Her reply was gentle, like she was familiar with the feeling. Like she related.

The two locked eyes and some silent understanding was reached. They both knew this pain, and Diaspro knew it was in fact temporary. Even if it felt crushing.

"Yeah, Carlisle says that- well it's rare but- I could have another one. I don't want to meet him or her just yet, it wouldn't be fair to them, I'll be grieving for Bree for a while, but one day I hope I get that second chance, then I truly would be lucky." Diego tried casually throwing that out there.

The thing is, he already knew about Seth. How could he not? Poor guy had been coming over every day asking after him. Edward said it's called imprinting, when a wolf finds his mate. Happens when your eyes first meet, then supposedly the wolf can really see your soul through them.

Diego knew Seth was his mate too, just like Bree. He just didn't know how to cope with it. He just lost Bree a week or two ago and on that same day, he found Seth. The situation was cruel on both boys. Eventually, at some point they'd have to talk to each other.

For now, Diego just wanted to wait until he was ready.

The incident from a few weeks back, was still visible when he closed his eyes. It was like a little movie.

♡♡♡♡♡

Edward tensed from Jane's question, and he grasped Diaspro, gently so he wouldn't hurt her, but also tight enough to pull her out of harms way. He could hear Jane's thoughts and he'd die before he would ever let them take Diaspro to Aro. His mind running more than a mile a minute, the speed left his hand shaking from the possibilities he'd never wish true.

If you were supernatural, you could see the slight twitch in the corner of Jane's mouth. She could cause pain without even having to say it.

"I'll introduce myself," Diaspro raised her eyebrow at the equally small girl. If anyone was going to intimidate Edward Cullen, it'd be Diaspro and Diaspro only.

"I'm Princess Diaspro, fairy of gemstone. I assume you're some of the Volturi? I didn't expect them to send children." Alec and Jane's eyes widened in offense at the princess, however Demetri might've snickered.

Just a little bit.

♡♡♡♡♡

It wasn't a long confrontation, just the usual veiled death threat and warnings.

Some curiosity over Edward and Bella's split.

Questions towards Diaspro.

Negotiations over Bree's 'dead' body, which didn't end perfectly.

After coming to a forceful decision from the Volturi. Stating the Cullens would gain nothing from keeping the corpse; Bree's body had been thrown onto the pile that later caught fire.

Bree's final death, and Diego's grief, affected the Cullens deeply. Especially Edward.

He might be able to read minds but Edward Cullen is no psychic. Yet he can still smell the tension turning rancid in the air. Whatever the unpleasant static is, if it interrupted his plans he'd be furious, livid almost.

The Battle had put a few things in perspective for the vampire. His life had an interesting change in just a year and three months. He broke up with his first love, went into a depressive state for weeks, met the love of his life, somehow graduated high school and dealt with an army of vampires.

Any sane person would be grateful for some peaceful family time.

However, Edward has always been impulsive, that's just a known fact. He always did something without thinking through the full situation. Like when he first hunted a mountain lion and decided to just trip it because he didn't want to chase it. Or perhaps the remarkable moment he decided to join concert band at school and quickly pulled out due to "issues".

Now with all this time to think, he knows what he's about to ask is sudden. Edward thought about it for the past few days and something in him knows that this is the next chapter of his life. That feeling also told him this would kick-start the storm that ends the calm.

Closing his eyes, Edward took a deep breath and let her scent gently overcome his senses, his hoodie - which he stole back from Diego - always smelled like her. The warmth of the small velvet box in his hand reassured him. Now was the time to ask her, and he wouldn't regret it.

Without any type of warning his bedroom door was kicked in and there stood his sister. Alice looked like she was going to burst from excitement and she had a huge folder in her hands.

"Edward, I've been waiting for this, I already have the plans!"

Edward might regret it now that Alice knows.

♡♡♡♡♡

Diaspro was in a similar situation as her lover. Today was a slow day for the book shop and even Addie wanted to close-up shop early. That's why she had gone over to the Cullens and checked on Diego. The aftermath of everything just felt like it truly wasn't the end of anything.

Something was bitterly brewing.

Something like a horrible storm.

Diaspro didn't know what to expect, and it wouldn't do her good to dwell on it. All she wants is to spend time with Edward, and just hope for peace.

Despite her hopes, and whatever impending happiness, Diaspro can still feel the danger coming.

The same danger she felt meeting Bella Swan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Any guesses for chapter twelve? 💖