Chapter 28

Song above for Chapter: "We Walk Through The Fire" by Zayde Wolf ft. Ruelle

ELENORA

"I'll call you when I'm on my way home, okay?" Rico holds my face.

"Sounds good," I give him a quick kiss. "Be careful."

He pecks my lips three times.

"Tell Angela I know she can do this and that we'll have a huge celebration here when she's done."

Rico gives me a warm smile. "I will, love."

He climbs in the SUV with Smiley, Ciccio and Domani. I wave as they pull away from the house and head down the road.

"So, what's on the agenda for tonight?" Mostro questions as we walk through the front door.

"First, I'm going to put Matty down, then I need to develop some film. Would you mind keeping an eye on him while I'm in the red room?"

"Of course not."

I grab the diaper bag and begin digging through it not finding Matty's lovey. Shit!

"What's wrong?"

"I think we left Matty's lovey at my parents house. He's not going to go down without it."

"Maybe it fell out in the car, I'll go check." Mostro heads out the front door.

Matty begins to fuss and cry in his car seat. I unbuckle him and lift him out of it. "Sorry, amore, we might have left your lovey with Nonno and Nonna.

Mostro walks back in, "Bad news it's not in the car."

My phone rings and I pull it out and see Jackie is calling me.

"Hey, Jackie."

"Nora..." Her voice cuts in and out.

" Jackie? Can you hear me?"

Her phone keeps cutting in and out. "Yeah, I...I'm...Listen...do...think...could...back?"

"Jackie, your phone keeps cutting out."

There's static on her end before the call ends. I pull my phone away and notice I have no signal.

"What's up?" Mostro asks.

"I thought Jackie's phone was cutting in and out, but I guess it was mine. I have no signal. Do you?"

He pulls his phone out and tries to send a message, but it doesn't go through; his eyebrows furrow. "That ain't good."

"I'm sure it's a service outage or something."

I head to the family room where I last remember keeping my laptop and look up our carrier service and check if there are any updates on service interruptions.

"There, see?" I point at the screen. "It says it right there, 'experiencing critical server error', "

Mostro leans over to read it. "Construction area accident," he finishes reading the update.

"Well, I'll go to your parent's house and grab Matty's lovey."

I give him a look and cross my arms. "Come on, Mostro. I can go and I'll be quick. Plus I need to see what Jackie needs."

"We have no way of contacting any of the other men right now, which means, I'd have to stay with little Matty—which I don't mind, you know I don't—but the issue is no one available to go with you."

I exhale frustrated. "There's always someone around here." I walk out of the room and into the hallway.

"Not tonight, remember?" Mostro follows me. "Rico gave most of the men the night off since the change is happening by next week and the only ones here are the ones on guard duty of the house."