Chapter 3

- Elly -

"Such a shame, such a plunder! I can never go back there!" Elly ventured her fears to her mother. She wandered up and down the kitchen, unable to hold still ever since she had left the Count's room.

"Hush, dear," the older woman said and tied a shawl over Elly's blonde hair, like she was still a child that needed to be dressed. "I haven't heard any complaints. You did well."

"Not yet," Elly said and took the basket from their small kitchen table. "I will be removed from duty, just like Elaina, just you see."

"Don't ever compare yourself to that girl," her mother answered, suddenly very strict. "She is no good association."

"She is my friend."

"You shouldn't talk to her anymore."

"She is my friend!" Elly repeated.

The women shared a look that needed no words. While Elly's mother was more patient than her, they were equally stubborn at times. And they'd had that very same discussion plenty times already.

Eventually Elly's mother turned back to cleaning the dishes. "Hurry, your father will be home for dinner soon."

Elly rolled her eyes, but left the house without another word. And she did indeed hurry. If she was quick, she could maybe go back the way alongside the Franker's meadow. The sight of the blooming spring flowers would calm her. Maybe she could pick a few for her mother too.

Too soon Elly arrived at the Goldstein's farm. The familiar sight of Len welcomed her. The sturdy boy scrubbed at an odd spot in front of the barn.

"Good day," Elly said.

"Ah, Lady Elizabeth," Len said and bowed to her. His golden curls bobbed with the motion.

Elly chuckled. Ever since they had been kids playing together with David at being noble Lords and Ladies, he would do that, no matter how old both of them grew.

"Here for the milk?" Len said.

"As always," Elly said, mimicking a true Lady's demeanour best she could.

"Right away," Len said and put his tool to the side to disappear into the barn.

Elly took a careful look at the spot he had been scrubbing. She couldn't tell what it was, but it smelled bad, and she wrinkled her nose. A moment later Len returned. Elly offered him the two coins and he placed the two bottles of milk into her basket in return.

"You haven't been around a lot lately. Mr. Stingley misses you," Len said then.

Mr. Stingley was the old horse the Goldsteins owned. Elly loved to bring him delicacies meant for the Baron's stallions, and he loved it equally. Sometime Len would take out the old saddle and let her ride Mr. Stingley around their farm.

"It's been too busy at the castle lately."

"Yeah, I heard," Len said with eyes searching hers, and she suspected that the horse wasn't the only one that missed her company.

Elly gave him a warm smile. "Thanks, as always," she said and meant the milk, but also the concern he had for her. She left quickly, since she probably couldn't convince him there was no need to worry. She herself was worried plenty.

Elly strolled back along the Franker's meadow as planned and picked up some knapweed flowers for her mother, but her mood didn't lighten up as she had wanted. The strange unrest just wouldn't leave her bones. It was the most curios thing really, she couldn't wait to go back to the castle and at the same time she wanted to run as far away from it as possible.