Chapter 10

- Jake -

The Earl's holiday estate was little outside of town. One of the old buildings from way back when Castermere had been little more than a village overseen by a lone fortress.

And a fortress it still was. The main houses were encircled by old, thick walls made of ancient stone overgrown with moss. Look out posts stood tall on every side.

Jake shuddered when the carriage rolled through the only entrance, breathing became heavier when the single, solid wooden gate closed behind them.

It reminded him too much of the prison he would have wanted to forget. The days of darkness. The smell. The pain.

His muscles tensed with the memory.

Nathaniel smirked upon realizing Jake's distress. "Shall we postpone the dinner? You look a little sick."

Jake focused on Nathaniel's pointy teeth, the slightly too sharp nails, all the odd things in the way he held himself. He was a demon, Jake knew that he was.

Despite his hellish behaviour a more than powerful ally. And in fact, the only reason why Jake and Rutger were not resting in unmarked graves.

"You'd love the blow to my pride, wouldn't you," Jake grumbled.

"I quite enjoy myself already," Nathaniel said and offered Jake the open door of the carriage like a real servant would.

They were welcomed by the Earl himself instead of the son they had expected. Guards stood tall to the man's left and right, with full armour and weapons, far better equipped than would have been necessary for a social gathering.

The bellied man displayed a crooked smile and certainty that had Jake's stomach drop with a different kind of dread.

This was some kind of trap.

And he had been too focused on his too little time to realize. Had been too occupied to be careful. Of course, it had been too easy, he should have known better. How quickly the Earl's son had approached him, he never even had to meet the Greenwood banker.

"I greatly welcome the Count of Malinijak," the Earl said.

Jake broadened his shoulders and patted for his hidden dagger in what he hoped was an unremarkable gesture. He forced his mind to focus, let his eyes wander his surroundings quickly. There would be no use in hiding in the main building, he would never manage to open the doors by himself. If need be, he would have to jump over the castle walls and hope for the best.

"Or so I would say, but don't we all know better?" the Earl continued and waved his guards to action.

Jake jumped to defence. He noted Nathaniel still smirking, like it all was just a game to him, and cursed under his breath. He would not get any help from the demon.

The guard closest to the Earl's right moved the fastest. He drew his sword with a battle cry that promised no mercy.

Jake grabbed for his dagger.

The guard swung his sword.

And neatly cut the Earl's head off.

Blood painted the guard and the floor, drenched the fancy gilded carpet that had been put out for the welcome.

Jake swirled around in confusion.

A fight among the guards started. Jake could only hope to stay out of the way. It was quick and dirty and within the shortest time the inner court was filled with the stench of blood and corpses.