Chapter 21: Platharc's Road

Jagger walked slowly through the dark tunnel that opened in front of him. He wanted the others to catch up so he was walking slower than usual. Lily was still unconscious, but she was breathing softly, numbed by the momentary fusion with Jagger.

The cavern was illuminated by several lanterns that were on the sides of the path, but the tunnel was so wide that the light was insufficient. Jagger was surprised that he hadn't run into any creatures yet; usually that path was full of small creatures. Something wasn't right.

"Jagger..." Lily murmured with difficulty.

"Don't worry, they're not following us," Jagger replied, pausing for a moment. "Can you walk?"

Lily nodded and Jagger helped her get up and held her for a few seconds so that her legs could regain their strength, which in Lily's case didn't take long.

"Did we go too far?" The woman asked, looking around her.

"We have walked for about an hour, but I have progressed quite slowly," he said.

"Garret and the others should have caught up with us by now..." Lily commented, but then she added with a hint of concern. "Do you think they have...?"

Jagger interrupted her with a look.

"I'm sure they left the city, there's nothing to fear."

Lily seemed to read something else between the lines. She spoke again, as she had regained her senses, and there was a degree of concern in her voice.

"Why is Juliet here? They could kill her," Lily said.

"She's in more danger on the surface than with us," Jagger replied, putting his hands in his pockets and starting to walk again. Lily followed him, but she wasn't going to leave the conversation there.

"That doesn't explain anything, Jagger," she said, slightly flustered. "From my point of view, there is no reason for her to be aware of your existence."

"I made a mistake," Jagger answered calmly, without slowing his pace or changing his expression.

"You're taking this too far. Besides, if you want to protect her, there's no reason to have her here. You can leave her in that Fortress where Albert and Ribal live," Lily started to say, but Jagger stopped, causing her to stop talking.

"I know, but I couldn't do that to her. She is one of those people who values ​​their dreams more than their own life" he said.

Lily directed her bright blue eyes to Jagger's profile and frowned. Jagger's expression was serious and there was no particular emotion showing, but his decisions.... They didn't seem to come from someone who didn't have feelings.

Lily sighed heavily. Ever since Jack died, she'd had a feeling that no matter how close she was to Jagger, she was still too far away.

"Finally, we have caught up with them!" Ribal exclaimed as he trotted toward them. He walked over to Jagger and gave him a friendly tap on the shoulder. "I knew you wouldn't have a problem getting out of town!" He then turned to Lily and, with a listless face, commented, "I was hoping to never see you again, Miss Crazy Kicks."

"I was hoping your existence would be worth something one day, but I keep getting disappointed," Lily answered, brushing her hair back.

Ribal seemed to want to reply, but Garret stepped forward sternly, speaking to Jagger with a somber tone in his voice.

"Marco knows something about Robin." Garret's face was cold and stern.

"Do you think they had something to do with his disappearance?" Jagger asked, turning around and adopting a serious expression.