Chapter 26: The inventor's past

Juliet came out of the bathroom refreshed but thoughtful. She couldn't get it out of her mind.

Jagger's bruise.

After almost an hour, all of the Ultimates had taken a shower as well and seemed much more relaxed.

Lily woke up shortly afterward and tended to the wounds of Albert, Garret, Achilles, and their subjects before tending to her own. She also went into the house and her bath lasted much longer than the others.

It was hard to tell the time in the Underworld again, but Juliet hoped it was late enough for them to rest that day. She wasn't wrong.

"I don't like it, but we'll have to spend the night here," Jagger said, surveying the dark surroundings of the place.

"It's very dangerous, Jagger," Achilles said. "The neybeinraws must be close if the city is empty."

"Okay, I'll keep watch while you guys recover," the Fallen One replied.

"But you haven't slept since we got here," Juliet said, concerned.

Jagger looked at her calmly and smiled slightly.

"You know I don't need to sleep, Juliet," he said. "I'll look around a few times to make sure there's no one here," he added before leaving.

Juliet watched him go and settled into the sleeping bag that Ribal had brought out. She looked around her and saw that the Ultimates were also making themselves comfortable. Even though their wounds were healed, they looked tired; especially Albert.

They were too brave, and Juliet admired them. She never believed that she would meet such amazing people.

"That was a good beating you took back there, Albert," Garret commented with a

funny tone. Albert smiled.

"The scientist is not supposed to fight, I expected you to do better "

Albert replied sarcastically.

"Don't look at me," Achilles laughed, "I was beating more Fardians than all of you!"

"The rekios are the ones that count!" Ribal exclaimed.

"Says the one who beat twenty?" Lily scoffed.

"Hey, I saved Juliet and Albert! That must count for much more," said Ribal, defending himself, but with a smile on his face.

"Then I win," interrupted Albert, "I got tired of getting Juliet out of harm's way."

"But she returned the favor, do you forget?" Garret said with a laugh.

"That was luck..." Juliet said shyly.

"Lucky you were there," Achilles said with a smile.

"It's true, thank you, Juliet," Albert admitted. "Not even the Lenorbak could have saved me from that situation."

"And what were you going to do? Activate your brain to calculate the force of the blow?" Ribal said, and the others laughed when they saw the inventor's face.

Juliet smiled too. However, Albert's comment about the Lenorbak piqued her curiosity.

"The Lenorbak..." she began. "How does it work?"

The Ultimates stopped laughing and gazed solemnly into the fire. Garret was the first to bring himself to speak.

"It's a complicated thing, Juliet. I fear that..."

"Okay." Albert interrupted. "I owe you one and I'll pay you back by answering your question, Juliet" he added, while he continued to look at the bonfire in front of them.