Chapter 44: The calm before the storm

Jagger woke up slowly. He felt an overwhelming numbness all over his body. His head was buried in a soft pillow, and he felt that pleasant comfort that comes from being wrapped up in a cold environment. A small ray of light tried to penetrate his eyelids and force him to open his eyes, but was interrupted by someone who placed themself between him and the sun.

Curiosity invaded him and he finally decided to open his eyes. His gaze was blurred for a few seconds, but little by little, Juliet's image became clearer.

"You finally woke up!" Juliet exclaimed with relief.

"So, it seems," he replied as he tried to sit up in what seemed to be Juliet's bed. He noticed that his body was wrapped in bandages, including his forehead and arms. He felt a sharp pain in his chest and back, but he resisted it, though his expression was enough to make Juliet worry.

"Does it still hurt a lot?" She asked. "I'm sorry, I'm sure you'd be more comfortable in the Fortress, but I thought you'd like to wake up with the sunlight, and well..."

"Thank you so much, Juliet," Jagger said. She looked at him surprised, but she also smiled.

"Well, I'm glad I guessed..."

"It's not just this," Jagger continued. "You saved my life so many times and in so many ways that I don't know how to express my gratitude. I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't met you, to be honest."

Juliet looked at him in astonishment.

"I do not..."

"And excuse me for putting you through all this," the Fallen One insisted. His penetrating brown eyes fixed on Juliet's honey gaze, captivating her and filling her loving and kind soul with security." I know I promised before, but I'll do it again: I won't let anything bad happen to you again."

Juliet looked at him for a moment, and then she lunged at her friend, hugging him. A little surprised, Jagger waited a few seconds before returning the gesture while a big smile was drawn on his face.

As Jagger held Juliet in his arms, he noticed her calmly closing her eyes and sighing contently. However, before he could say anything, Juliet spoke using a cute and sweet voice and a somewhat confusing phrase.

"I'm glad!" Juliet exclaimed in the middle of another sigh.

"Glad about what, exactly?" Jagger asked, confused.

Juliet hugged him tighter before answering with tangible security in her voice, this time whispered.

"I'm glad you showed up!"

Jagger smiled and rested her chin on her head,aware that he hadn't felt so comfortable in years.

"The world is still shaking from the disturbing images captured in the now world-renowned town of Newston," the news woman was saying

"The world is still shaking from the disturbing images captured in the now world-renowned town of Newston," the news woman was saying. "Who are these monsters? Who were those who summoned them? Is this the beginning of the End...?"