Chapter 3

When they arrived at the park which was in a suburban area not the city, making it a very very small park, they found a note. It was longer than the other ones, Pip read it out loud.

"You have arrived at your destination. Now is where the real challenge begins. You need to fit in with the locals. Once completed, your next task will be delivered to you." She put the note down and sat down on the swing.

"Locals... Any idea how to act like them?" Declan mused, scratching his chin. Alex stifled a laugh since they were really overthinking it.

"Well, do we assume they're human?" Tom asked with hesitation. He looked around to see if anyone was near them or heading closer to them. The street was deserted.

"I don't know, they look like humans... The only way to find out is to fight them." Blink declared with enthusiasm as he went straight to Alex, spun her around and tried to open her bag to get a weapon as Alex flailed against his attempt.

"Fighting them wouldn't let us blend in, it would do the opposite. I think we could assume they are human." Alex added, swinging her backpack around her body and tightly zipping it up so Blink didn't grab the weapons.

"Can you be sure, Alex?" Declan pressed. She sighed and slowly nodded her head.

"Can you trust me?" Alex quipped, as she moved to sit down on the swing next to Pip. The group was sceptical but slowly started nodding.

"So where do we begin?" Jordan voiced after being so quiet in the discussion. Alex shrugged.

"I don't know, I'm guessing here." She feigned, kicking off the ground and started swinging. I can't answer too many more questions otherwise they'll be onto me, Alex realised. She stayed quiet while the others discussed strategies.

"We could stay here overnight?" Pip suggested, as she too began swinging on the swing.

"That wouldn't be blending in." Kaiden retorted.

"No. We need to immerse ourselves... It would help if we knew where we were." Someone added.

"Alright, then let's split up. Half of us go exploring, the other half try and find somewhere we could stay. Preferably away from all of this housing." Jordan suggested. They didn't have any better plans, so they split into groups. Jordan, Alex, Kaiden and Declan were to find somewhere to stay away from where they might be seen whereas Pip, Blink and Tom were going to explore.

"Make sure you have a way to find us, and don't do something stupid. Just do what the other people are doing but don't get into any situation you can't get out of." Alex warned them as they split off. Pip, Blink and Tom headed back from the direction they came, taking them back to the grey city.

"Oh and be safe!" Alex shouted back to them as the rest of her group started to make their way through the winding suburban street.

"They will be fine, Alex. This isn't their first time." Kaiden assured her as they walked together.

"But this place is dangerous." She replied quietly, thinking about how Freya was so different to Medora. They had grown up with incredible technology, with different species and an entirely different lifestyle to what Alex had.

"What makes you say that?" Declan asked, sounding unsure why Alex was so confident in what she said. She sucked in a sharp breath, realising she slipped with her confidence in her own answer.

"I- I mean it might be dangerous because of th-those carriages." She hastily fumbled trying to cover up her mistake. Luckily, nobody said anything. They continued their walk past all of the houses while Alex followed Kaiden and Declan's lead.

Once again, she stayed behind them and whispered to Jordan. "We're getting closer to my house." His eyebrows shot up and he squealed. Kaiden and Declan looked back to see what the excitement was. Jordan hesitated before mumbling a pathetic answer.

"She told me... a funny joke... sometimes I squeal instead of laugh." He tried. Kaiden lifted an eyebrow in suspicion but kept on walking. Alex paused with Jordan, a smile splashed her face like Jordan's was.

-

"Psst, Jordan, This is the street I used to live on... You don't think..?" Alex whispered to him but left her sentence hanging as she followed Kaiden and Declan. They were very close. Too close. She could see the fence of her house coming up. But she couldn't say anything without exposing herself so she was forced to follow and ignore it.

"Guys? I think this might be our next clue." Declan muttered, seeing a note pinned across the letterbox of Alex's house. She took a step back. Coincidence?

"Are you sure? Other houses had mail, maybe it's the same thing?" She tried but Declan unpinned the note and began reading.

"This house is where you may stay if you wish to use it. When the other half of you arrive, you'll need to pass one test as well as acting like the locals and then find your way back home." He finished reading and waited for someone to say something.

"I suppose we go in then," Jordan said. Alex not-so subtly elbowed him in the ribs as he opened the gate and headed to the door. The door was locked when he tried the door handle.

"Underneath the mat." Alex said boredly. Jordan looked at her weirdly and Alex was sure Kaiden and Declan were doing the same.

"The key. It should be underneath the mat." She explained. Jordan lifted the mat and saw a silver key laying on the ground. He tested it in the door. It opened instantly. Alex headed inside.

"How did you know where the key was?" Kaiden pressed as he followed her in. She could hear the footsteps of Jordan and Declan enter the house. She looked around the house. It was very plain, it was missing recent family photos that should have been hanging on the walls, probably so no one would know it was her own house and dust was settled everywhere as no one was home to clean it.

"If the door was locked, the next place to look is always underneath a statue, mat or underneath a lamp. There was only a mat. That's how it works and that's the way of life." She explained, heading up the stairs and into her old room. She tried to look like she had never been there before but for all she knew, she was reminiscing in memories. It was exactly how she remembered, all of the books she used to spend hours reading were still there, her bed was still ruffled since she never remade it and she even dumped her bag where always used to dump her school bags. The memories came flooding back to her and a single tear trickled down her cheek.

Alex tried to open a door back to Medora but nothing happened. She must have been too emotional to concentrate. She sighed in frustration.

"Are you alright, Alex?" Kaiden asked as he leaned against the door frame. Alex turned around to see him after she quickly pushed the tear off her face so he couldn't see.

"I'm fine." She said which was partly true. She was fine but sometimes... remembering her other, old life was difficult.

Kaiden pushed himself off the doorframe and slowly walked over to where she was standing. He grabbed her hands and held them.

"You can tell me anything, you know. I'm always here to talk. If you want." He told her quietly.

"Thanks, Kaiden. Same goes for you too." She replied with a warm smile. She really wanted to tell him about her Freyan origin but... she couldn't. She didn't say anything rather than stay in a comfortable silence with Kaiden.     

-

 i forgot about this fanfic ngl... sorry I'll try and finish it but this is definetly one boring fic

thanks for reading!!

Freya- A TMC Fanficजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें