Chapter 4

Jordan called Alex and Kaiden downstairs and they found him in the kitchen. He was sitting on the kitchen bench with the cupboard open, examining it like it was the world's greatest artwork.

"There's no good food." He started with a pout. Alex scoffed before examining it herself. While she had to agree, she did manage to snag a jar of unexpired vegemite which made it worthwhile.

"I don't know what you're talking about." She retorted as she threw the jar of vegemite to him. He caught it and inspected the label.

"What is it? It looks all mouldy." He deducted with a frown. Alex scoffed again. She went upstairs back to her room and pulled out some coins. She made her way back to everyone else.

"It's a very classy spread that you spread over toast. Now come one, we need to be like the locals, that means vegemite." She instructed. Kaiden and Declan watched the two of them from the kitchen table.

A knock on the door interrupted whatever Jordan was going to say. Alex went to see Pip, Blink and Tom had arrived back.

"How'd you know where we were?" Jordan yelled from the kitchen as he saw them enter the house.

"I called them on my ComTCD." Declan shared before continuing, "Y'know when you decided to investigate the kitchen and not the test we're supposed to do."

"We all have our strengths." Jordan chuckled.

"Alright, I'm going to go for a wander, I'll be back soon." Alex told everyone as they made themselves at home. Declan was explaining what they missed, which wasn't much.

"Wait up, Alex. You're not going alone." Kaiden said to her as he followed her out of the kitchen.

"I'll be fine." She insisted but he shook his head and pointed out the opened door.

"The sun's setting, you're not going alone." He firmly said, leaving no room for Alex to argue back as they left the house. Kaiden said nothing as Alex led the way back to the city. Only when the night had fallen did he ask her something.

"Is there a reason we're here?" Alex shrugged but didn't give any further response. The cars were driving past the two of them as they stood there looking at them drive by.

"Just felt like it." She tried for an answer.

"These things are a bit weird, don't you think?" He asked, still looking at the cars passing by them.

"I guess so but maybe that's normal around here." Alex feigned an answer. She held Kaiden's hand as they walked down the street.

" I suppose that's true. Can I ask you something?" He drilled on Alex. Alex nodded, allowing him to continue even though she had a feeling for where it led.

"We're in Freya, aren't we?" He asked in a breathless voice. Alex tried for a fake laugh.

"You think so? Why?" She looked at him before pushing a strand of her hair back behind her ears.

"It makes sense. Their technology isn't as modern and you know where we are."

Alex froze at what he had said. She hadn't told him she was Freyan and she was sure Jordan wouldn't have told him.

"W-what do you mean?" She tried to act confused but her shock and panic must have been more visible.

"Hunter's note. It was about you and that's your house? You're Freyan... I don't mean it in a bad way, it just clicked." He whispered to her, gently tugging her forward to continue walking.

"You won't tell anyone, will you?" She whispered back.

"Of course not! You can trust me." He drew his arm around her waist, holding her tightly. Alex sighed in relief.

"Thank you," She murmured.

"So, now that I've cleared that, where are we going?" He asked brightly. There weren't as many people walking around as there were before, it was more peaceful.

"Off to the store. You can't have vegemite without bread and butter." She answered just as brightly.

"Wow, you must love this 'vegemite'." He noted.

"Of course!"

-

Kaiden and Alex entered the house to find their classmates all lounging across the floor and couch.

"We're back!" Alex announced in a sing-song voice. Jordan sat up from the floor to see what they had brought back with them.

"...You got bread? You could have gotten anything else and you chose bread?" He asked in disbelief. He shook his head disapprovingly.

"Don't forget you and Blink brought plenty of snacks." Alex commented.

"Umm about that, we ate them all while you were out. But I can confidently say, they were delicious." Blink added in with a grin. Alex ignored the both of them and moved to the kitchen. She pulled out the bread, butter and vegemite and prepared it the proper way except for Jordan, who insisted he could make it himself. She gave it to everyone else to try as well as reminiscing in the nostalgia of her childhood food.

"This is not good. At all." Jordan spat out his vegemite toast, he glanced around to see all the other classmates had no problem with their piece. Alex looked at his piece and saw how much he had spread.

"And that's why, you get me to make it. It takes years of intensive training to be able to digest the amount of vegemite you have spread." She explained but Jordan looked at her like she was speaking a different language. She was. She was speaking cultured.

She went into the kitchen to make him another piece. Jordan followed her, all confused.

"You use the tiniest bit of vegemite to a lot of butter. Like that." She said as she gave him a proper piece of vegemite bread (since they didn't have a toaster) and began eating his ruined piece.

"Then how can you eat that?" He retorted. Alex finished off the piece before responding.

"It's called immunity. You build it up."

-

Sorry I haven't updated in a while, I got busy with school and definitely didn't forget about this... 

Thanks for Reading!