29th

Harpers pov:

Jess and Ham came into the nurses office and Jess looked pissed. "ok ham stay here and explain to harper, i have to see jerkins." she said before storming off into the principal's office.

Ham sat down asked me how i was feeling, "good. but i wish i knew what happened, i know emily punched me-" i paused, "oh you missed a lot." he said laughing, "that much?" "yea jess left at the end of lunch to find you, she saw emily and them by the bathroom and exploded once she found you. jess brought you here then went to pe and punched patty to the floor. then tried the same with emily, except she fought back. and now we are here." Ham said almost out of breath, i was speechless.

"did benny like his lunch with amber?" I asked ham, "we don't know. we saw them sitting then they we to pe together, he's a jerk for eating with her." he responded. "oh."

we sat there until Jess came out, "sorry gotta start my 3days right now!" she said walking towards us. "detention?" i asked she nodded and rolled her eyes. "it was all worth it to see emily on the floor." Jess said as we walked out of the office, ham and i walked where all the boys were in pe. Jess didn't come because she had detention.

ham and i got to pe, the boys all came up and asked how we were. "ya you shoulda seen amber, she was gonna calm jess down-" squints said, "yeah-yeah but then jess punched patty infront of her so she ran behind benny." yeah-yeah said laughing then he realized what he said, and turned red. "great going yeah-yeah." ham said smacking him upside the head, "sorry it slipped." yeah-yeah said, i just smiled and shook it off.

"hey where is benny anyways?" I asked tryin to change the subject, "he had some stupid appointment so he left a few minutes ago." bertram said, "oh ok. you guys wanna go to the sandlot?" I said "and ditch?" Smalls said, clearly not understanding. "yeah they won't care, besides we only have 1 more period until the day is over." I said convincing smalls, "ok i'm blaming you if we get caught." "whatever" i said as i held my backpack, and the boys got theirs.

-at the sandlot-

We were all playing and i was up to bat, "omg what is she doing here?" I heard someone shriek, amber. "what are YOU doing here is the question, do you know how to even play?" I said walking towards her and Benny.

"hey guys is it cool if amber hangs with us. her parents had an emergency and went to the hospital." benny said, amber gave a pouty face. I rolled my eyes, she smirked at me. "yeah that's fine." smalls said, I shot him a glare and the boys did too. "perfect! I wanna swing first." amber said running towards home plate. "it's bat you slut." I mumbled, yeah-yeah heard and started laughing. "your not wrong." he said going to 2nd base while I played short-stop.

"Strike 1." ham yelled and laughed, "that's not fair! I didn't know when he was gonna throw the ball at me? I heard amber say, i rolled my eyes and looked at benny who was playing 1st. we made eye-contact and he smiled at me. I heard amber scream and she was on the floor, "Oh MY GOD! This dress was expensive, I can't get DIRT on it!" "then maybe you shouldn't have worn it" yeah-yeah yelled, "shut up little boy." she said then went to benny, "maybe you should go next benny-boy." she put a hand on his shoulder, he smiled then took the bat and ran to home.

what is happening? does benny not like me anymore, maybe i was just a summer-fling.

"ok losers i'm going home." i said grabbing my backpack from the dugout, "yea me too." yeah-yeah said walking behind me.

"I can't stand that girl." I said.

"i dont think anyone can. she is annoying" yeah-yeah said as we walked out of the gate.

"want ice cream?" i said, "yeah."

we walked to ice cream. we got there and saw phillips, "oh so you and benny are over?" he said, yeah-yeah rolled his eyes. "i don't know, but i'm still off limits to you buddy." I said, "whatever." phillips mumbled. we got our ice cream and sat down.

"what do you mean you don't know if you and benny are still together?" yeah-yeah asked me.

"i honestly don't know." I said sighing, "well it's you and Benny, you were meant to be together. You guys will work out" yeah-yeah said while eating his ice cream. "Everyone says that but look at it. Benny's dad left him- his mom probably said the same thing. Same with my dad-" I said looking down at my empty cup.

"Oh, well maybe your guys story will be different." Yeah-yeah said, I thought about that for awhile.
"Well I gotta go, my ma prolly wants me home." He said as we walked out of the ice cream shop, then we got to our neighborhood. Yeah-yeah waved and went into his house and I kept walking towards mine.

I reached the porch and started to wonder what was going on, why was Benny being nice to amber? Didn't they hate each other, I guess people change-Good or bad. I sat on the bench because the nighttime breeze felt good. I saw someone come walking towards me. Only could be one person this late. I thought, "Hey Harper, you ok?" I was right.

-end of chapter-