39

Tony woke Peter up at eight in the morning when he had to leave. The boy clung onto him as long as he could before he knew he had to let him go.

There was a lot of tears and heartbreak involved, but Tony promised to see him soon. Peter watched him step into the Quinjet and leave him once again.

*

When Tony got back home, he felt strangely worse than he did before. He hated having to leave Peter again, but he just needed to see him.

Another thing that was strange, was that Pepper was standing in the kitchen again. He kept his rage hidden and stepped forwards.

"Miss. Potts, you're in my kitchen again." He said, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"That I am." She said with a nod.

"Thanks for the strawberries, I guess. Almost made up for that bullshit that came out of your mouth two days ago." The man said with no hesitation. Pepper sighed and sat down on a stool.

"That's actually why I'm here. I wanted to apologize in person, and also explain why I said...what I said. I feel awful, it's just that...and don't take this the wrong way, but...I just didn't think you would care about the kid this much. You're you...you always told me you didn't want children. I thought...I thought it already was for the publicity. That maybe Happy or Rhodey suggested you adopt a kid so people would think better of you." Pepper explained, anxiously. She didn't want to set the man off again.

Tony listened carefully, nodding along with pursed lips. When Pepper finished, he took a moment to think before sighing. "You know what? I don't blame you."

Pepper looked up at him, clearly in shock. "What?"

"I don't blame you." He repeated. "I don't exactly have the best track record, so I could see why you may think that. But I need you to know that it's not true...I love that boy more than I ever thought I could."

Pepper's expression softened before a smile was plastered on her face. "I don't doubt that for a second. Do you want to tell me about him? I would love to know more."

Tony smiled. He would never miss an opportunity to boast about his kid. So he sat down next to the woman and got to talking.

"I met him...four months ago. Maybe five. We were on a mission, taking down another HYDRA base. Those fuckers have set up bases everywhere. Anyway...found the kid, Peter, in some sort of creepy basement at the base." Tony explained, stomach twisting at the memories. He also took notice of Pepper's saddened expression. "He was beaten up pretty badly, wasn't talking either. Thought he was just scared until I took him back here and fixed him up. Did some research and found out that he has selective mutism. He still does, it's just not a bad as it was then. It kinda comes and goes in waves."

"I told him he could stay at the compound while we figured out the HYDRA situation. I also wanted to find out about Peter himself. Did some digging and turns out he was kidnapped by a bloke called Anton when Peter was ten. He was captured for four years before we found him."

Pepper gasped and placed a hand on her chest. "Oh my God...that poor boy!"

"Yep. Tried to see if he had any living relatives to send him off to but they were all dead. Parents, Aunt and Uncle."

"Why did they take him?"

Tony thought of the answer for a few seconds. He didn't want to tell people about Peter's powers if that's not what the boy wants, so he decides to hide it for the time being. "Just their usual creepy super soldier shit."

"But...he's a child!"

"Yeah, it's horrible. I know. Anyway, I ended up getting really close to that little shit. He's practically got me wrapped around his fingers." Tony chuckled. "Asked him if I could adopt him two months later and he said yes, said his first words, had a moment, yada yada yada." Tony began growing tired of telling his and Peter's whole story together because it only made him miss the kid more. "We do a lot together. He's actually incredibly smart, dare I say, smarter than me. I enrolled him into a science school and he even helps me out in the lab." Tony smiled at the memories. He was insanely close to flying over to Wakanda and taking his son back.

"He loves to draw, loves watching movies and I love watching them with him. Even though he annoys me by calling Aliens 'old' because that movie came out when I was sixteen." Tony chuckled to himself. It wasn't even like he was talking to Pepper anymore. He was just telling himself the memories to make him feel better. Then, he stopped. He felt like crying. He just wanted his kid to come home, and stay home.

"He sounds wonderful. When can I meet him?" Pepper asked in a soft voice, breaking the silence. That comment felt like a stab in the heart.

"Not for a while." He said, voice low. Pepper looked at him in confusion. "He's actually, uh...he's actually in Wakanda right now. He has been for two weeks and three days, to be specific. They're helping him with the trauma...y'know." Tony trailed off, not wanting to think about it. "Do you know sign language?"

Pepper looked taken back by the question. "Uh...no, I don't."

"Hm...I was just asking because he might use it when he first meets you. But it's fine. I can translate."

"Wait, so, you're saying I can meet him?" Pepper said with a smile. Tony looked at her before sighing.

"Despite what I said the other day, I do actually trust you Pepper. You're...you're a good person." The man said, staring ahead of him instead of at Pepper. They were both silent for a good few seconds. The moment was making Tony feel uncomfortable.

"Alrighty...I guess I'll let you know when he's back." He said, standing up from his stool. Pepper's smile still hadn't dropped. "What?"

She shook her head with a smile and stood up. "Nothing, it's just...you've really matured, Tony. It seems that Peter is exactly what you needed. You're much happier than you were before." She stood in front of him, and Tony swore she was looking him up and down. "I always knew you would be an amazing Dad."

Tony floundered, not really knowing what to say. "Uh...thank you?"

Pepper laughed and shook her head again. "I'll be going then. Please do let me know when Peter gets back. I would love to meet him." And with that, she left.

Tony stood in silence for a minute, trying to process what just happened.

"How adorable. You two getting back together?" A voice said from the doorway. Tony jumped and whipped his head around. Nat smirked at him as she leant on the doorframe with crossed arms.

"Easy tiger, no need to get ahead of ourselves." Tony said, rolling his eyes and collapsing on the couch. Nat scoffed and joined him.

"Come on, dude. You've had zero action since you guys broke up. It's kinda sad...especially because it's you. Tony Stark. Not having sex. It's like a parallel universe."

"I'll have you know, Miss. Romanoff, I met Peter a week after Pepper and I parted ways. I've been too busy for women or men. I've got a kid now, can't be influencing sex on him." Tony said and shuddered at the thought.

"Fair point, but Peter is in Wakanda. Now is the time." She said with a smirk.

"No."

"And why not?"

"Because...because my playboy days are over. I'm a father now."

"Mhm, and what's your excuse for not getting back together with Pepper?"

Tony groaned. "Will you just drop it? Pepper doesn't want me anymore." He said, trying to ignore the pain that sentence brought him.

"Aha! A break in the case!" Nat said, swinging herself around so she was facing Tony with crossed legs. "You want Pepper, but you think Pepper doesn't want you so you're not doing anything about it."

"Shouldn't you be, like...having sex with Rogers right now?" Tony said into his hands.

"He's out with the others. It's Beer Thursday."

"Okay, and why aren't you with them?"

"I was about to leave but then I saw Pepper making googly eyes at you. Thought I could do some interrogating."

"I'm going to my lab. Don't follow me." Tony muttered and stood up.

Nat rolled her eyes. "You know I'm right."

"No I don't!" Tony called before leaving the room and heading to his lab.

He felt like doing some useless tinkering for the rest of the day. He was already running on coffee, so why not make some use of it?