Chapter Five: Aiyana

I had seen my reflection countless times before, but I had never thought much of it before then.

        I imagined I looked just like any princess would. Regal. Powerful. Strong. My eyes were dark and round, a compliment to the mass of curls that fell to my collarbone. I had a heart-shaped face, an average build, and full bow-shaped lips, and apparently, I was the spitting image of my mother. But there were no significant distinctions between me and the other nobles whose skin tones ranged from caramel to ebony.

     In contrast, Greyson's hair was fine, and a bright shade of yellow that vaguely reminded me of corn. He had blueberry-colored eyes, and skin so pale it was translucent. I had seen vermin men before, but none that looked like him, and it made me more conscious of the face that stared back at me.

       "Your Highness, I've been instructed to trim your hair in preparation for the meeting with your mentor," a young maid informed me as she bowed before the threshold to my bedroom. I nodded at her and moved away from my full-length reflection, still not used to the tall blue walls and dark mahogany wood that surrounded me. A portrait of Duchess Azure stared at me as I crossed the room, her eyes watching vigilantly as I took a seat in front of my vanity. The mirror was illuminated by candles and positioned just beneath the chandelier in the room, the only conduit of electricity in my entire suite. The Azure province may have been rich with commerce, but it was nowhere near as wealthy as the capital, where lights illuminated entire hallways and bordered walkways on every road.

     A bout of homesickness washed through me, but I quickly shoved it away. I didn't have time to wallow in self-pity. What I needed to do was discern a way to win the Rose Royale, and that started with meeting my mentor.

        The maid walked toward me silently and placed her trimming utensils on the desk. As she moved about, I noticed that despite being in the same caste, she too looked nothing like Greyson. Her hair was hidden beneath a cap, but small black tufts stuck out from the sides. She had a neutral complexion, and her eyes were dim and familiar, framed by dark circles and creases. She was thin, almost skeletal but despite her ghastly appearance, she was observant. She noticed me watching her.

       "Is-is something wrong, Your Highness?" she asked shyly as she dampened my hair. I met her eyes in the mirror and smiled.

      "No. I just feel like I've seen you before."

     "Yes. Well, I was here yesterday..." she admitted, her voice quaint. As soon as she spoke, I realized who she was. I hadn't recognized her without blotchy cheeks and red-rimmed eyes, but she was the girl who had cut me with the needle.

     "Oh," was all I said in response.

     Hoping to spare her any further shame, I sat quietly and let her trim my hair. Since I was a child, my mom would have Arielle and I cut our hair to our shoulders. She said we looked fiercer when our faces weren't hidden beneath our curls, but I had long suspected it was to appease the nobles who abhorred our looser curl pattern.

              Arielle had embraced it, as she did most things, and made it her own. Now, she wore her hair cropped to her ear, her curls thick and glorious. I wasn't as daring and chose to maintain the routine my mother had made, hoping it helped keep just a small part of her alive.

       "M-may I speak, Your Highness?" the maid stuttered, pulling me from my thoughts. I gazed at her in the mirror, surprised by her earnest eyes.

      "You may."

     "I'd like to...thank you for yesterday," she straightened and cleared her throat "I appreciate you not telling anyone what I did."

      I hadn't told anyone about what had happened because I knew the consequences would be far too harsh for such a small offense.  The Autumn Equinox was a stark reminder of what happened to vermin when they made mistakes. And while I may have been raised like the other nobles, I didn't want to be like them.

       "There's no need. Truly. It barely even hurt." I lifted my wrist to her line of vision, proving there was nothing left but a faint, angry line. She glanced at the mark; her eyes sad as she returned to cutting my hair. I watched her as she worked, small curls falling carelessly to the floor. She moved quickly, with hands far more precise than Cienna's. When she was done, she brushed the stray hairs from my shoulder and gestured for me to look in the mirror.

              I tugged on a curl, pulling it toward my rib before smiling as it bounced back to my shoulders. After assessing my hair, I stood and made my way toward my full-length mirror once again. I wore a navy-colored suit that hugged my curves and was buttoned at the waist, with a cotton white shirt beneath it. Paired with a diamond necklace and jeweled flats, I looked just like a Noble-Duchess. During formal events, nobles wore lavish gowns that left nothing to the imagination, but for more subtle occasions, we wore suits. And I preferred it that way.

     "You look beautiful, Your Highness." I turned toward the maid to thank her, but to my surprise, she had gotten on her knees and bowed her head, her nose pressed to the dark hardwood floor. "I know this is premature, but I'd like to pledge my loyalty to you." She lifted her head and met my eyes, "I will forever be in your service." Her voice was firm, and she stared intensely at me as if she could sear her conviction into my flesh.

    "I..." I was speechless, my words caught in my throat. I hadn't expected such fierce determination from someone who, hours ago, had seemed so small and meek. It was as if the tear-streaked maid from yesterday had been replaced by a woman with tenacity and resilience, one who would not take no for an answer. "There's no need for this. Please stand...um, what is your name?"

      "Madeline, Your Highness," She didn't move from where she kneeled. "I apologize if this surprised you, but I believe the events of yesterday prove you are to be a wonderful Queen. I promise to serve you until the end. If you'll let me." She bowed once again; her forehead pressed to the wood. Heat rose to my cheeks as I took a step back, unsure of what to say.

     I wasn't worthy of her binding declarations, nor did I deserve her gratitude. I'd witnessed several executions in my life, and I had never lifted a finger to stop one. I delivered food to the villages, but only because I had promised my mother I'd help them. I had done nothing of my own accord, nor had I acted selflessly. My mother was the true hero, and I was merely the shadow trying to take her place.

    I was saved from responding to the girl when a powerful, guttural scream sounded from outside my suite.

    "I-I have to go see what's happening," I muttered before I turned and dashed out of my suite. Thankfully, she didn't follow.

     The first thing I noticed in the hall was the rancid smell that seemed to have woven itself into the very foundation of the manor and I immediately lifted my arm to my nose, my breath hot in the cool hallway. Something dark and heavy settled inside me as goosebumps rose beneath the sleeve of my jacket. I followed the faint sound of whimpering down the hall, the stench bringing tears to my eyes as the chill seeped through my clothes.

     When I rounded the corner, I immediately wished I hadn't.

I wasn't prepared for what I stumbled upon.

No one was.