Chapter Eight: Aiyana

Nia's palms were sweaty in mine, and her grasp was airtight. I stared down at our joined hands, debating whether her hold was a gesture of solidarity or pity. I was sure she had learned how pathetic I had been after finding the duchess and her lover, but it was also possible the murder had drudged up painful memories for her as well, and she simply needed as much comfort as I did.

        Arielle sat on the other side of me, a complete contrast to Nia's quiet anguish with a fire in her eyes that could burn stone. I wished then that I held the same anger within me—or any feeling aside from the stubborn fear crawling beneath my skin.

      "Everyone, take a seat. We have important business to discuss." Nia commanded her voice firm despite the sadness in her eyes. The council members fell silent as they each took their seats, no one daring to touch the chair Duchess Marigold had once occupied. Like the duchess, her seat exuded extravagance. It stood tall, with plush yellow cushions embroidered with the same gems she often threaded through her locks. The deep chestnut wood resembled the parlor of her skin, and the way the chair demanded attention like it was the only thing in the room, embodied her boldness. I hadn't been particularly fond of Duchess Marigold, but her presence was evident in everything she touched, now left to haunt those she left behind.

        Aside from Duchess Marigold, every other Duchess was in attendance, their faces grim as they avoided gazing at her seat. Even Royal Minister Jones, the only woman on the council who had earned her position, looked uncomfortable. The only person not haunted by Duchess Marigold was Duchess Rogue, the oldest council member as well as my paternal grandmother. She sat across from me, her gray hair tidied into a low bun, and her gaze resting acutely on Nia. She hadn't supported Nia's adoption into our family, and every time my sister spoke, my grandmother, snickered.

      Duchess Azure sat to my father's left, and although creases marred her forehead, her eyes held no sympathy. I had no doubt she was plotting how to use Duchess Marigold's death to her advantage.

        "I will ask that you all give your full attention to Duchess Azure." Nia gestured toward the duchess and all heads followed the turned to our Queen's Champion. "If you need to talk after this, I'm here for you," she whispered as she squeezed my hand. I managed a small smile in return. I knew she meant well by her offer, but it also meant she thought I was weak. Just like everyone else in the room.

     By the time I had returned to my chambers this morning, the entire nobility had learned of Duchess Marigold's death and of my part in discovering her body. No one had seen my tears except for the guard, but it seemed that was enough for the Queendom to deem me fragile and meek.

      Since I had stepped into the council room, people had eyed me with either pity or disgust. And the worst part was that I couldn't blame them. I was weak. I could barely stand the sight of blood, even my own, and although I had been determined to be queen, I hadn't been prepared for the horrors that came with it.

               Duchess Marigold was dead. My mother was dead. And the White Rosemen had infiltrated yet another noble manor. I had treated the Rose Royale like a game, the crown like an object I would win. It hadn't dawned on me how dangerous ascending the throne would be. There was an entire group of people dedicated to the eradication of the matriarchy, and if I wanted to become queen, I'd have to grow accustomed to seeing dead bodies. And accept the idea of becoming one myself.

       "As I'm sure you've all heard, Duchess Julie Marigold is dead." Duchess Azure paused for a few seconds to seem remorseful. "Her body was found late this morning by Princess Aiyana— ". Everyone glanced at me, the same variation of pity and disgust reflected in their eyes as when I had first walked in. "Her corpse was grotesquely mutilated, and above her body was the depiction of a White Rose, much like the one we found 10 years ago when the queen was assassinated." Another round of glances in my direction ensued and I tried to calm the annoyance bubbling in my gut. I wished the duchess would just say what we all already knew.