Chapter Thirty-One: AIyana

The next morning, I decided to do something incredibly stupid.

But entirely worth the risk

Word of Leanne's treason had quickly spread beyond the manor, and even from my private chambers, I could hear whispers of it through the walls. I wished I could shut it out, place a pillow over my ears and drown out the voices, but as one of the reigning heirs, people would expect me to attend her execution. My absence would be an irrevocable sign of my stance on her punishment, but I no longer cared for appearances.

At the Gala, I had cared more about the influence I would lose if I helped the maid than her actual life. But how important was influence—or the crown— if the Queendom never changed? I had thought honoring my mother would mean changing things from the shadows as she had done. But I was tired of pretending. If I had learned anything from Cienna, it was that honesty and compassion were the only cure to hatred, and if I wanted to be a queen, she could be proud of, I had to live in my truth. And own it.

Once I made up my mind, I shot out of bed and dismissed all the servants loitering around the room. They hesitated for a moment before following my orders, each woman scurrying out the room in fear of a wrath I did not have. Reminding me again why change was so important.

Madeline was the only one who stayed, her eyes curious as she watched me fret around the room in search of clothes, I had no idea how to put on. After several minutes of me trying and failing to fasten the clasp at the top of my spine, Madeline finally put me out of my misery and helped dress me. I watched as her idle fingers corrected all my mistakes, and I realized I was glad to have her there.

I had decided to trust Madeline when I had asked her to covet information on the duchess, and whether it was wise to or not, I chose to rely on her again.

"Madeline, I must ask a favor of you," I said as I bent down beside my bed and unscrewed the vent hidden in the wall. I could feel her watching me, but the less she knew the better off she would be if I were caught.

"Whatever you need, Your Highness," she replied instinctually. And it was her obvious loyalty that squashed any doubts I had about showing her what I had stolen.

Ignoring the scroll, I pulled out the only weapon in New Rose I had no idea how to use. The colt was cold in my hands and heavier than it appeared, but it was solid and deadlier than any sword.

Despite being one of the two candidates to immediately advance to the final competition, I could not forget General Lynx's condescending words. After my mother's death, I had chosen to turn a blind eye to the gun powder weapons that plagued my nightmares, a mistake I would not let cost me twice.

After leaving Leanne's cell, I found my way to the weapons room, one kept hidden from the guests except for the ranking officials, and since I had spent a lot of my time exploring the grounds, it was an easy room to find.

I had slipped inside when most of the guards had been too preoccupied with gossip of a new prisoner to care who went in and out of the weapon's room. Inside, I found an entire collection of muskets and colts hidden behind an assortment of axes. I took the smallest one and the matching bullets placed beside it. And while I had no idea how to use it, the memory of my mother's assailant was vivid in my mind, and it wasn't hard to figure out how to load and aim it, I just hadn't fired it.

Yet.

If I were going to be a knowledgeable ruler, I needed to use every weapon at my disposal, and although New Rose struggled to create such artillery on our own, our neighbors were rich in iron and gun powder. If I learned how to control it now, it would only be that much more of an asset in the future. And after seeing Leanne as I had, an innocent woman condemned to death to placate the nobility, I knew it could no longer be a choice. I had to do everything I could, even if that meant putting myself in danger. Or else someone I loved could be next.