Chapter Nineteen: Aiyana

The early autumn breeze swept through my room, stifling the pink curtains I had begged my mom to find, before making its way to my bed. I shivered under my chiffon comforter and goosebump quickly rose on my bare legs. I pulled the blanket further over my head and tried to ignore the cold, but when the panes of my window began to shake, a large knot formed in my stomach, and the hairs that rose on the back of my neck had nothing to do with the temperature.

     I peeked my head out from beneath the covers, but all I could see in the sparsely lit room were shadows dancing along the walls. I didn't hesitate before reaching for the bell atop my bedside table and shaking it vigorously. My mother had promised that I could ring it anytime I needed her, and although I had just turned seven and was determined to prove I wasn't a little girl anymore, I couldn't shake the heavy feeling curling in my gut.

      I heard the guard outside my door sigh before the sound of their receding footsteps shook the quiet of my room. I bit the inside of my cheeks and clutched the bell to my chest as I waited for my mother.

      After a few minutes passed and the wind outside my window calmed, I began to question my decision. I knew my mom was often busy with her royal obligations, nor did I want Arielle to call me a baby again, but I couldn't help wanting her near me when I was scared. The only thing that made me feel better was my mother's voice, but I needed to grow up. I sighed and promised myself that I would not ring for my mother again. I was a princess, and I needed to act like it.

      "Aiyana? Are you awake?" My mother's soft voice was like a cool breeze on a hot day, and her presence immediately calmed the nerves fizzling in my stomach.

      "Yes. I'm sorry mommy. I got scared again." I admitted. Despite the fatigue in her eyes, she smiled at me. She shut the door behind her and quietly made her way to my bed.

      My mother looked like an autumn fairy after waking. She wore her usual red, satin robe, and her hair had been released from her sleeping cap to curl gently above her ears. Even in the dark, my mother glowed, and when she reached my bed, the familiar scent of honey and vanilla settled around me like a cloud. She smoothed the hair away from my face and gazed down at me, her light brown eyes warm as she embraced me.

     "It's ok, sweetie. I told you I'd always come when you rang," she assured me.

     "I know. But this is the last time. I promise." I said as I climbed into her lap. She rested her chin on my head and continued to stroke my hair.

     "Wow. A promise? You know I take those seriously."

     I nodded at her solemnly. "I know. I hate when Arielle says it, but she's right. I must grow up."

    My mother smiled warmly at me. "Okay, honey. But for now, how about we focus on getting you back to sleep? It's late, and you have classes in the morning." She kissed the top of my forehead, and, despite my grumbled protests, tucked me back into bed. "How about I hum our special song? It'll help you sleep."

     I nodded at her, and she began to sing. The night star was a melody she had composed on the piano when she had been pregnant with me, and even after I had learned how to play it myself, it never had the same effect as when she sang it. I wrapped my hand around hers and closed my eyes, letting the soft notes wash over me. She stroked her thumb rhythmically over my hand, her touch warm and comforting as her voice lulled me to sleep. I had just begun to lose consciousness when a loud thud sounded outside the door.

     My mother stood abruptly, taking the warmth with her.

     A few seconds passed before a scream was heard down the hall, and a loud alarm sounded from the bell tower outside my window. I glanced at my mother in confusion, but the color had drained from her face. The fear that had dissipated quickly returned, and before I could ask my mother what was happening, she picked me up and began sprinting toward the door.