one

"i just think that like, you know, i'm worried that maybe i should have gone to college you know, like music is fun. i love music. but i haven't really recorded or released anything at all so," maya rambled. she was a rambler, always had too much going on in her head and not enough time to say it.

"maya it's okay" matt said calmly, "everything will work out in the end, you can't spend so much time worrying about it. and that's not even true, you've posted bits and pieces of songs, people love them" matt was a listener. he had all the time in the world if it was to listen to maya talk.

"i know, i know. but i can't help thinking about it. and more than people liking my songs, what about me? i feel like to really make it you need a lovable personality. and i mean your fans hate me. how do i know that everyone won't hate me you know-"

"my, you know they don't hate you. they love your personality, they're just jealous of how much we love you, chris practically never lets go of you"

"matt i know damn well that you've read the same comments as me"

matt and maya were on another one of their notorious late night drives. whether it be for food or to wander around walmart, maya always wanted to drive. and for her, matt was always up for it.

matt's brothers, and maya's other best friends often tagged along. but maya was constantly begging to get out of the house and matt was the only one that couldn't decline. so the two of them spent many long nights driving around, yelling songs at the top of their lungs. they actually found it to be quite therapeutic.

matt knew this was a hopeless topic, no matter what he said she would continue to spiral. so instead he grabbed the aux cord and shuffled their playlist. enchanted was first, one of their favorites.

"fuck yes" she grinned, looking over at him. he was smiling looking out the window, and they both began to sing.

when she first met matt, he was more quiet, so she never took him as a car karaoke kinda guy, and with most people he really wasn't, but maya brought out something in him. she had no idea but, she made him fall in love with music, it was their way of communication. they had a playlist that they were constantly adding songs that made them think of each other to.

after enchanted played through, stubborn love came on, a classic maya song.

"oh. my. god" she laughed, "do you remember when i-"

"yes my, i think we all remember when you cried for what?" matt looks over to see her smiling, "like twelve hours straight?"

"heyy, it was a low time for me, and twelve is pushing it. i say a good ten and a half"

"chris wouldn't let anyone near you" matt laughed. he remembered the nerf gun that was pointed at his head when he tried to bring her a pb&j. he had forgotten she was allergic and chris thought he was out to poison her.

"yeah and good thing, nick was about to kill me, you should have seen the messages he'd sent to me that day"

they both just laughed.

2:09, is what the clock read when she checked. maya turned down the song a little, earning a look from matt. "hey wait do you think chris is up," she asked.

"i mean yeah probably, you spend more late nights with him than i do," he said, unsure of why it mattered and what she needed, "wouldn't you know?"

"that's not even true. he seemed tired today so i was just wondering- there was just something i had to talk with him about"

matt gave her another look. a questioning look. "it's nothing, really, just stupid," she reassured. she always thought there tended to be a little bit of brother jealousy. especially when she chose to talk about something with one brother over the other.

even though chris was her bestest best friend. she met him first. she goes to him when she cries. she sleeps in his bed when she stays over. but she realizes this is matt's time with just her, no chris being possessive over her.

and chris never intended on being possessive but everytime he watches her get hurt he gets a little more protective, and he holds on to her a little tighter.

"well we're almost home, so you can go talk with chris," he said jokingly annoyed.

"yeah, yeah" she laughed. her favorite part of the song was about to play so she turned the music back up.

"IT'S BETTER TO FEEL PAIN," maya yelled,"THAN NOTHING AT ALL"

"THE OPPOSITE OF LOVE'S INDIFFERENCE," matt sang with her.

they smiled at each other, and then just sat quietly. maya focused on the road and matt focused on her, watching her hands tap the wheel. sometimes they did this, just listen to music without talking or singing. just enjoying each other's company.

"when we were young, oh, oh, we did enough" she sang, quietly this time, mostly to herself, "when it got cold, ooh, ooh, we bundled up."

that was matt's favorite, when she would get to a special part in a song and sing so gentle. just loud enough for him to hear.

unfortunately, she was too shocked to make it to the next line.

'so keep your head up, keep your love
keep your head up, my love
keep your head up, keep your love
head up, love
head up, love
head up, love
head up, love'