Emperor's Adopted Son

The citizens of the fallen kingdom all lined up. Their hands and feet are connected with one long chain.
Everyone is looking down. Any gender and age mixed up. Their clothes are dirty. Their eyes are either dead or red from crying.
The soil they are stepping on is black from the ashes of the burnt oil.

Just a few weeks ago, this place was the capital city and bustling with happy cries and noises from everyone living their happy lives. Now it was no longer recognizable.

The coverage of this war ending is being broadcast live in the different kingdoms through magic projectiles.

There are many citizens that are proud of the soldiers achievement and there are plenty that shake their heads and look away as if that will ease the guilt.

Flora or the Kingdom of Flora is known for the beautiful abundance of flowers that originated and grew in the country. The saying that 'there is no better flower than the Flora's flower' is the testimony of the kingdom's flower appreciation and love.
It was a medium size kingdom. Not relatively small, not big.
The King is a selfish man but he likes appearances and never done over the top things to maintain his image to the citizens and other kingdoms.
But when the Empire decided to besiege Flora. The King and his most trusted aide run as fast as they can and hide in different countries.

The Flora kingdom commit treason for helping syndicate in kidnapping the Empire's citizen and selling them as slave. And when the Emperor called him for questioning, he remained unmoved and he didn't put it to heart.
The Emperor then raised his hand and ordered the Duke of Liona.
'Take down the Flower's flag.'

"Your Highness!"

The people stop seeing the silver haired man walking in front of them fall down from exhaustion.

"Don't stop walking!" The soldier shouted on top of his horse.

"Sir, please give a sip of water to his highness. We have been walking for days." The woman in the end pleaded.

"Shut up!"
The soldier shouted.

"But his highness."

Aren slowly stood up with the help of the golden haired brother next to him.

"I'm fine Nanny." Aren smiles.

There are two lines. One is with 10 people, all from the royal family that didn't escape and some that chose to stay. And the other line are the palace personnel that were taken with them.

The people watching the live gasps.
"Flora's best swordsman...his highness Aren Florentino.....is a child?"

.
.
.

12 years old Aren Florentino.
The King's youngest son.
He was abandoned by the King and his mother died 2 years after giving birth.
At the age of 5 years old the captain of the patrol team found him dying from hunger. He took care of him after a few years. He was one of the best students of the captain.
When the King found out his son didn't die and learned swordsmanship. He sends him to the border to help kill monsters near the death valley. He was just 7 back then but the Prince went without caring.

There are 10 kingdoms that suppress the monster and make sure they won't grow in number on the Death Valley.
And thanks to that, the Prince was given a lot of praise from different Kingdoms.
Many have fancy to see this handsome swordsman but nobody expected him to be this young.

They finally arrived in the port where they will be transferred to the Empire.
Depending on their decision they will be executed,pardoned, vanish or turn into a new Empire's citizen.

The Flora kingdom will never rise again. That is the Empire's decision. So they all know that the royalty they captured will all be killed.

"Please save his Highness."
The cry of the citizens not only made the other kingdom ache for their fallen country but raised their sympathy.

"He is too young to die."

"He saved us."

"He fought for us."

"He is the Kingdom's true royalty."

"He is the real king we want."

Some will laugh at them.
Just because he fought a war he deserves to be the King?

The Emperor met the 10 royalties that day when they arrived.

The frantic royalty wanted to swore allegiance. They all blame the King. Begging for the Emperor's benevolence.
Only two are quietly kneeling.
The famous Aren.
And his brother Theo.

"Theo 'Holy Weaver' of Dues Flora."
The Emperor said as he looked down.

Theo raised his head but didn't look at the Emperor's face but his feet.
"Here."

"Aren Florentino of Deus Flora."

All the royalty become quiet.
"Pardon his Emperor. I do not have the title of Deus."
Aren also raises his head but looks at the Emperor.

The knight behind him unsheathed his sword and put his blade near his throat.
"Insolence!"

Looking at his Emperor's face is not allowed for a common citizen near the Emperor. Especially not for a fallen kingdom survivor.
The sword blade is pressing on Aren's neck and cheeks. Soon it was bleeding with his blood but Aren didn't flinch or make a noise.
"I'm sorry your Majesty. I was told that when someone is asking you should look them in the eyes not to be rude. I did not grow up in the capital and I am not taught about etiquette."

The Emperor raises his hand and the knight takes back his sword.

"Who is the one that taught you about looking at someone's eyes?"
The Emperor asks amused.

"The Duke of Liona. He once mentored me in the Death Valley."

They all felt quiet.

"Your mentor is the one that seige your kingdom. How did you feel about it?"
The Emperor asks.
His aide is standing beside him with a frown.
'His majesty is truly a sadistic person.'

Aren looks down.
"I thought I could win."

"You thought you would win against the Empire's strongest swordsman?"
The Emperor burst into laughter.

"But my arms are not thick enough. My limbs are not long enough."

The Emperor laughs again.
"If your limbs are long enough and your arms are thick enough, you think you will win?"

Aren thinks for a while.
Then he nods.
"Yes."

"Pfftt ahahhaha."

"I will have to do better in my next life." Aren said calmly. "Since I will die this young. I can't fulfill my desire to win against the Duke of Liona."

"What if I give you a chance?"

"Will you really?"

"Why do you want to beat the Duke?" The Emperor asks.

"So I can stab that arrogant face of his." Aren said with all the displeasure he felt

The Emperor didn't kill him.
He adopted him.
The Emperor is too young, just 35 years old but when his wife dies when he is just 19 and just a crowned prince back then. He swore never to remarry again so he never had children.
Many people were against the King's decision and he ignored everything.

The emperor is 42 when he meets a woman that he later became his Empress and they even have a son.

"You will still inherit this kingdom." The Emperor insists.

"I am not even a citizen of this Kingdom. Just make your young son the King." Aren insists.

"And what will you do?" The Emperor sighs.

"I...."

The door opened and the Duke of Liona arrives and grabs Aren's hand
"We are going to get married."

"...HUH?"

"....Father Emperor, I'm in love with the Duke of Liona." Aren smiles happily.

The End.

A/N:

Kahahahaha