Chapter Two - Eli Reed

Driving into town was surreal. It was small but there were people everywhere. Dad parked at the entrance of the only pet shop in town called, Pet Accessories. I was super excited to get everything picked out for Midnight so he could be comfortable. Growing up with a dad that was a vet, I constantly spent time at his vet and met many animals over time that I always wanted a pet, especially a dog. And not having a sibling or a mum made me feel more alone. My dad was absolutely great but I still felt like I missed out on the experience of having a mum or a sibling. I was thought having a pet could help me feel more alive. The store was actually quite big inside even though it looked small from the outside. We walked from aisle to aisle, trying to find everything we need. I saw a really cute dog house that we could keep inside the house. It was blue with black paw prints and it reminded me of Midnight with his black fur and blue eyes. I instantly fell in love with it and knew I was getting it even though I knew Midnight will not stay in it much. When we left the store we had bags and bags filled with things for Midnight from, including the dog house, we also got beds for the different rooms to lots of food, treats and toys. We also got him a name tag and lease. As we walking out of the store we realised we spent near two hours in the store.

"Princess, do you want to go and get ice cream," asked my dad as he spotted a small mall across the road. 

I turned to him with a big grin, cause he knew that I would never say no to that so I just nodded yes. As we walked inside the mall towards the ice cream store, I looked around trying to get a feel of the place. There were so many stores I have never heard of and realised that most of the shops in the town is owned by local people and not big department stores. As we turned to go inside the ice cream shop I saw a table full of teens my age sitting at a table outside the store. I suddenly felt nervous as I knew these kids were probably going to be in my new school and they looked to be around my age. I wondered if they would be the friendly or stick to their clique type. Dad and I walked to the counter to order our ice cream, but I will still concentrating on the table and was not watching where I was going and bumped into someone. I started to trip over, when I felt a hand grab me. 

"Oh my gosh, I am so sorry. I was not watching where I was going," I said as I looked up to the person holding me. My breath stopped as I stared at the most gorgeous guy I have ever seen. He had hair as black as Midnight's and the most amazing blue eyes. I realised I as I was still staring at him that he was still holding onto my hand. Sparks flew through my whole body and I shivered. I realised he did not respond to me. He looked me over and suddenly dropped my hand like touching me, burnt him.

"You should watch where you are going, especially in a small town like this," came his deep voice, as he smiled at me with two deep dimples. I stared at him, trying to figure out what to say. He looked at me with a smile and I realised I was still staring at him. 

I smiled at him and replied, "I really am sorry, I was not paying attention at all.

"You are new here," he said.

I looked at him and laughed as I responded, "was it the lost look I have that gave me away?"

He smiled again and I wanted to melt. "Pretty much. I'm Eli," he said as he gave me his hand to shake.

"I'm Lily-Anne, but you can call me Lily," I smiled back as I shook his hand and stared in shock. I wondered if he could also feel the spark. It felt like the whole world froze and it was just him and I and nothing else felt real. It was the best yet strangest feeling.

"See you around, Lily-Anne," he said as he walked to the table I was staring at earlier before I could respond. I walked to the counter where my dad was ordering the ice cream as he asked me what flavours I wanted. 

I shook my head and turned to my dad and laughed as I responded, "Dad, you know I am a vanilla kind of girl".

He laughed as he said, "I thought maybe you would finally try something different. You know new town, new opportunities? Do you want to have our ice creams here or take it to go?"

I looked back at the table and saw Eli staring at me. He smiled, when he saw me looking. I returned the smile and turned back to my dad. "I think let's take it to go, as I want to spend some time with Midnight and it has been a long day," I responded. We paid for our ice cream and walked out of the store. I turned back to look at Eli to see him still staring at me. I waved at him as he smiled and as I walked out. This place is going to be quite interesting, I thought. I wondered what new experiences I will have.

When we got back to the house, I set up everything for Midnight then dad and I prepared a light dinner of fried chicken and fries. After dinner I took Midnight for a walk in the backyard and went to explore. I instantly fell in love with it. Aside from the massive pool, there was a jacuzzi, pool chairs and a barbeque area. The sun was setting and the light reflected of the pool was simply stunning. As I walked towards the garden, I heard a girl yelling at someone on the balcony next door.

"Eli, you ignored me the entire afternoon, what the hell is going on," I heard her screaming at him. I turned to look up as I did not realise I was so far into the yard and saw Eli and a girl on the balcony. I quickly tried to find a spot to hide so that they do not see me and had to walk into the garden. I tried not to eavesdrop but they were talking really loud. I hid behind a tree as I held onto Midnight's lease and tried to get him to walk back towards the house, but he wanted to go deeper into the garden.

"Cara, we are over and have been for a while, I do not owe you an explanation," he responded angrily.

"Yes you do Eli. The least you can do is tell me what I want to know, especially when you do not spend any time with me now days" she yelled at him.

"You broke up with me, Cara, cause I wouldn't sleep with you, so I do not owe you anything," he responded angrily. He looked down towards my house and for a second I thought he could see me as I felt his stare on me. He turned back to stare at the girl, Cara, "look it's over Cara. Do not come to my house uninvited again and also tell your friends to stop spreading rumours about me."

She stared at him, then started yelling again, "I want to know who she is and what is she doing in this town."

I grabbed Midnight and ran out of the garden back towards the pool. I felt bad and did not want to hear anymore. That girl sounded like he wanted him back really bad. I rushed into the house told dad goodnight and that I was going to unpack a bit.

Later that night as I laid in bed, I suddenly realised that Eli, the guy I met, lives next door to me. I then realised I did not message my friends back in New York to let them know I have arrived. I dialled my best friend Lucia.

"Omw, you freak, you did not let me know you arrived," she started yelling.

I looked at the screen and started laughing. "Gee, girl, save your energy, it's too late for you to be yelling."

She gave me a dirty look and replied, "Well if my best friend, called me when she should have, then I would have been relaxed and not stressed."

"Well I am really sorry, the drive was really long and when we got here, we stopped to get something to eat. And you will never believe what my dad got me," I said.

"Let me guess, your own house?" she laughed.

"Haha, very funny and no that might only come when we are at University together," I joked back.

"Well stop keeping me in suspense and tell me," she yelled.

I laughed at what a drama queen she is. I took my phone to my bed where Midnight was sleeping and started petting him while I showed him to Lucia.

"Omg, you got a puppy finally," she squealed and clapping her hands together. "He is the cutest thing ever. What did you name him? Wait it is a him right?"

I stopped petting Midnight to stare at her. Lucia has always been an over excited person but you couldn't help join her. "Yes, it is a he and his name is Midnight. And I agree, he is the cutest thing ever. I cannot wait for you to visit and see him." We chatted for a bit more and then ended the call as it was a bit later on her end and she was going away with her family for a few weeks. I couldn't help thinking this year is really going to be interesting.