[Final Chapter]

_______________________________________________

■Present■

Black. Everything is black in front of Athena. She can't hear or see anything. She only feels the pain. The psychological pain of loosing a loved one and the physical pain which were caused by the accident she just had.

Under her she feels not the hard and cold street, she feels a soft and warm underground. Athena tries to open her eyes. She slowly opens them so they could get used to the light. When she opens her eyes, a familiar voice sounds next to her: "You're awake!"

She turns her head into the direction where the voice comes from. "Nathan?"

"Yes, Athena, it's me!"

"I- I saw you dying. How can you-" The machine for her heart rate starts to alarm that it is too high.

A doctor comes in and steps next to Athena. "You have to go now, Sir. Miss Burnell has to rest."

"He can stay, doctor. I- I want him to be here.", Athena says with her voice cracking.

"If your heart rate goes up like that again, he has leave.", the doctor says with a german accent.

"I understand.", Nathan says and nods at the doctor. The doctor leaves and Nathan sits down next to Athena's bed. "I- I don't know where to start, Athena. The last time we saw each other. I- we- we were one. Tangled up in your bed, exploring each others bodies. And after that? Nothing. I sent you your suit back with my- his number. I was getting crazy thinking about what I could've done wrong. But the only thing I've done wrong is to give you his number, not mine."

All of the memories she had with Bradley appear in her mind. The first time they saw each other, the first time they kissed and the first time she realises she has fallen in love with him. Everything she did wasn't with Nathan. It was with Bradley.

"Then two days ago, I got a call from Bradley's phone. They said I'm- was his emergency number. I got told that he and his girlfriend had an accident, but he didn't make it. I took the first flights possible to get here. I wanted to see who made my brother so happy. He was so happy when he talked about you. Bradley never said your name, but he said you'd be his future wife. And when I saw you in this bed, I knew I made a huge mistake.", Nathan says sad. "It should have been me in that car, not him.", Nathan says and he starts to cry. He lays his hands next to Athena on the bed and his head between them.

Athena puts her hand on his head. "No. If I just wouldn't have discussed with him who should drive, we would have been on our way earlier and then-". She couldn't end the sentence. Her throat is dry, her whole body hurts and her eyes burn from all the tears she just cried.