Chapter 14

"Pencils down. The test is now over."

As Ms. Sato collected Anzu's last test, the teen sighed and placed her head down on the desk. The entire week, she'd done nothing but go to school, cram, and take naps; so, she could definitely say she was exhausted. Finally, she was finished with the semester, but she couldn't relax yet. She had to find out whether she passed or not and the anticipation just might kill her.

There was a light tapping on the window between the classroom and the hallway. Peeking up from her arms, she noticed a happy-go-lucky Momiji smiling and giving her a thumbs up. Seeing that, she couldn't help but smile herself. Her smile intensified into a giggle once Ms. Sato looked up as well and shooed him away.

She didn't see Momiji until the end of the day as everyone was leaving. Putting away her school shoes in her locker, she noticed two people walking out the main doors and holding hands. Maybe that could be her and Mo-

"Lola! How did your tests go?"

Anzu nearly jumped out of her skin as she heard her nickname being called. Turning around, she watched as Momiji bounded towards her with a bright smile on his face.

"I failed my science and Japanese exams." She sighed. "But it wasn't by a lot, so I have extra work to do over break and I have to do some remediation tutoring to make up for the days I missed."

"What about your other exams?"

"I passed them all."

The young boy grinned and grabbed her hand. "Great! We can celebrate then! How about some ice cream?"

"But isn't it cold outside?" She protested as she zipped up her coat. It was the middle of December after all.

"That's the best time to get it!"

He led her out the doors, careful not to pull her along. His hand felt warm around hers and it was a moment that she never wanted to end. It didn't take long for her to fall in step with him, although his legs were longer so she had to take a bigger stride. Students from their school who saw the two either eyed them from afar or turned to their friends to make comments.

Soon enough, Momiji brought Anzu to an ice cream parlor that was near the main street of their city. He didn't let go of her hand as they entered the building and immediately started pointing out every ice cream flavor he'd tried so far.

"Welcome back, Momiji." The parlor owner walked out. The elderly woman eyed the redhead beside him as she tied her apron and her eyes dropped down to their joined hands. With a knowing smile, she approached the counter. "What would you and your girlfriend like?"

Anzu blinked in surprise, a blush evident across her cheeks, and turned to Momiji who had abandoned holding her hand as his ears were nearly as red as his earrings.

"S-She's not my girlfriend yet!"

"So she will be soon, I'm assuming?"

"I would hope so." Momiji answered honestly, rubbing the back of his neck. "She's my Lola after all."

The woman laughed. "Oh, is that so? What do you say to that, little lady?"

Anzu fiddled with her fingers and laughed nervously, her blush reddening deeper and deeper. She was going to reply when the owner waved her off, telling her she was just teasing. After getting their orders, the crimsonette watched with interest as she made big, perfect scoops of ice cream before handing them the cups.

Momiji led Anzu to one of the tables so they could enjoy their sweet treat. As she ate a spoonful of her chocolate ice cream with cookie pieces mixed in, he enjoyed his usual favorite - strawberry. His eyes would drift towards her often, but the moment she smiled as she relished in another spoonful of ice cream was a picturesque snapshot he now had imprinted in his mind.