Chapter 22

"We're going to move on with the procession. Are you ready?" One of the funeral attendants spoke.

Fifteen year old Anzu stood in the doorway of a local funeral home. Outside of the shaded glass, she could see the crowd of paparazzi eagerly waiting with their cameras and microphones. After word had gotten out about her existence, she didn't have to hide behind hoodies anymore, but that just made everything more of a reality. The actual funeral was quick and private as her mother didn't specify any death wishes.

"You should put this hat on." Anzu's housekeeper pulled her away from the door and fixed her hair before shading her face with the stiff fabric. "You don't have to say anything when we leave if you don't want to. I'll stay by your side the entire time."

"Alright sweetheart, so here's the plan. There's a car on the street that will take us to the grave site." Sango's assistant approached Anzu. "Your name to the public is Maya. No tears for the pictures and keep your head down. I already have security out there, but this is just a photo op. We'll have plenty of time for interviews later."

Looking away from her, Anzu glanced back at the growing crowd. All of this was going too fast for her and the emerging argument between the housekeeper and assistant just like in the hospital wasn't helping. Soon enough, it was time to go and the funeral attendants brought out the huge picture frame of her mother and the gilded silver chest that contained her cremated remains. Immediately heading over to them, Anzu held her hands out.

"Please let me hold my mom."

The attendants, assuming she meant the frame, were going to hand it over, but the crimsonette adamantly refused and told them she wanted the box. The assistant overheard this and immediately stopped her conversation with the housekeeper.

"No, no, honey. You need to hold the picture frame for the cameras. Leave that to the professionals. If you'd just-" She tried to pull the young redhead along, but Anzu immediately snatched her wrist out of the older woman's grasp.

"I want to hold my mother."

She had a clear resolve and it was evident that the conversation wasn't going to go any further. The housekeeper intervened and helped Anzu with the box despite the assistant's clear lack of understanding. Finally, they were ready to face the public.

° ∆ -------- ••• ------- ∆ °

Anzu quickly ran through the streets of the city, being sure not to stop until she knew Machi wasn't following her. Her body felt jittery like she'd had too much coffee and she struggled to catch her breath. Her surroundings felt semi-familiar as she thought she knew where she was, but she may have been turned around. As much as she thought she was okay, it felt like no matter what direction she faced, she was going to be entering that hospital. Finally stopping, Anzu found herself by the river side and collapsed on the grassy hillside. Images of the hospital slowly dissipated from her mind and she felt like she could breathe a little bit.

Kureno was in the hospital and she wasn't sure how to feel. How could she go see him when he could end up like her mother? On the other hand, how would she know that? He promised her that he would try not to put her in that situation. Covering her eyes with her arms, she tried fervently to focus on anything else but what was going on.

"Anzu, is that you?"

Tilting her head back, the crimsonette locked eyes with Arisa. The wind immediately started to blow and Anzu finally realized that the only things she had on were her nightgown and her sneakers.

"That's a pretty interesting outfit for the morning." Arisa commented as she slowly came to join her. Sitting down next to her, she looked out at the reflection of the clouds on top of the water. "You got a lot on your mind or something?"