Chapter 19

Anzu entered her apartment and quickly removed her shoes at the door before sliding on her house slippers and shuffling into the common area. The walk home had given her time to process all that had happened that night and she wanted to get answers as soon as possible.

Kureno was seated on the couch, having just gotten home himself from spending New Years with his parents. He turned around to greet her, but the serious look on her face made him second guess that.

"What's wrong, Anzu?" He started off. "Did something happen?"

The crimsonette let out a small sigh and shook her head before sitting down on the couch next to him. "I need to ask you something and I need you to be completely honest with me."

He was puzzled by her demeanor, but he could tell that whatever the issue was, it was bothering her greatly. Nodding his head, he patiently waited for her to speak.

"What was your relationship with Akito? I'm already aware that she's a female, so you don't have to mince any details."

Kureno's eyes widened in shock as he stared down at his niece. He didn't know how much she knew, but he also didn't know how to feel for the information. He did confirm that he'd tell her the truth though. With the revelations that had already come to light in front of the Zodiac, it was only a matter of time when this would be brought up as well.

"...I was Akito's person, until I wasn't." He started off. "Ever since she was born, I was always connected to her. I gave her anything and everything she wanted with no complaints, but now I realize I shouldn't have done that."

"Were you two in a relationship?"

He thought for a moment before shaking his head. "Not a true one."

"Did you want it to be a true one?"

Kureno sighed. "What are you asking all of these questions for? Did Akito-"

"For once, Akito didn't do anything." Anzu leaned back into the couch. Grabbing a pillow, she held it against her chest. "I met her mother today and she was terrifying. I'd never seen that look on Akito's face before."

She had a look of conflict etched on her face. When she'd first met Akito, she was a little scared and that fear had been growing ever since until it finally plateaued. She still didn't like how Akito treated her and, as a start, she wanted an apology for it, but she couldn't fully hate her. Not after she'd seen the other side of the story.

"I wanted Akito to be happy." Kureno answered her honestly. "In reality, there was no way that I could make her happy and she always had someone else she was looking for. Later on, I realized what true happiness was, but I couldn't break the promise I made to her. I guess now none of that matters anymore."

Anzu's eyes widened in realization and she turned to her uncle. "Was it that blond girl we saw when we first moved here?"

"Her name is Arisa." He smiled.

"Arisa... What a pretty name." The crimsonette smiled back. "Have you two gone on a date yet? When are you going to meet her again?"

His smile faltered a bit and he glanced towards the window. "I decided I wasn't going to see her again, but now that I've been banished... That doesn't matter anymore either."

"Why did you stay with Akito all of these years?"

"I did it so she wouldn't feel lonely."

Anzu felt in the back of her mind that she knew what she needed to do. She hadn't formally thought about how she was going to get out of the curse, but now she had formalized a decent plan in her eyes. Standing up to go to bed since it was late, she placed her hand on Kureno's shoulder.