Chapter 20

"Are you going to tell me what's wrong, Akito?"

Anzu sat in the room of the Sohma head and slowly rubbed circles over the older woman's back. For hours, Akito had been clinging to her and hadn't let go. Right now, she had her head laying in the crimsonette's lap. Although her eyes were closed, Anzu knew she was faking and trying not to talk.

"If you're going to give me the silent treatment, then I'll leave." Anzu frowned. "I haven't been to school in a week because of you and I can't repeat what I did last year."

"If you leave, you won't come back."

Confused by her statement, Anzu wanted to say something immediately, however she thought about it. There had been people who had left her side and, although she wasn't sure who the Sohma head was referring to this time, she didn't want to make any assumptions too early.

"I already told you that I'd come back. I've been coming back everyday."

"That means nothing!"

Akito immediately sat up, glaring at the shocked, unsuspecting teen. Over the years, the distance had become too great but, for some reason, this past year had revealed some immense changes that she wasn't ready for. What she wanted to do was take it out of the crimsonette in front of her and really let her have it. She could yell at her, hit her, push her, kick her, even swing her around if she wanted to. Yet, she knew she wouldn't feel the gratification she wanted from it.

Anzu's shoulders slumped forward in defeat as she sighed. "I don't know what's happened, but I hope you'll tell me when you're ready. Maybe I can-"

"You've already done enough!" Akito pushed her down onto her back. Because it was so sudden, Anzu didn't have time to react and by the time she'd recovered, Akito had already gotten on top of her. "I'm the chosen one! No one's supposed to leave me; you should be begging me for mercy!"

"You keep talking about leaving... Who left?"

"You're probably in on it with all your distractions." The Sohma head didn't hear her through her rage. "This is all your fault! You're the reason he's gone!"

Akito's fingers wrapped around Anzu's throat as she tried to choke the teen. Perhaps it was because she hadn't been eating lately that Akito's strength wasn't as pronounced as before. Anzu could easily pull at her wrists as she loosened Akito's grip. Who was she talking about, because there was no way it could be Kureno. Suddenly, something wet plopped onto her cheek and Anzu turned her attention back to Akito, who, to her surprise, had started crying.

"I wish you would just talk to me." Anzu relaxed, but kept a hold of Akito's wrists. "The pain you're holding in... You can't dance around it. You have to embrace it; that's the only way it will start to go away. I had to do the same thing when my mom died, and I'm still doing it now."

"...I have to face the root of the problem."

Anzu could tell that Akito was pondering her thoughts, but she didn't know what they actually were. The advice she gave, however, was something she had to learn herself. It was only after crying herself to sleep in Tohru's arms that she started to realize it. Maybe something she said had resonated in Akito's mind because she slowly crawled off of the teen and stood up.

"It's not your fault..." The Sohma head slowly said out loud before turning back to Anzu with a smirk. "You're absolutely right. I need to face the root of the problem."

The crimsonette frowned as Akito's facial expressions didn't seem the least bit sincere. She wasn't sure what had clicked in her mind but, whatever it was, it seemed like nothing but ill will. She was going to stop her and try to get more information out of her, but it seemed like the ravenette's mind was set.