Negotiations

The following weeks unfolded as if nothing significant had occurred, except for one notable change – Thomas Shelby became notably more pleasant in his interactions with Vivian. Though seemingly insignificant, she found herself relishing in the occasional wink and expressions of gratitude. These small gestures made the days more bearable, especially now that it felt like she was navigating the estate on her own.

In the aftermath of the party, Vivian noticed a shift in her friendship with Cathy. The once close companionship had evolved, leaving Vivian feeling a sense of solitude. Unbeknownst to her, rumors began circulating about her and Mr. Shelby. It was a revelation that she did not appreciate, and she suspected Cathy, the only one privy to her whereabouts that night, might be the source. The bitter taste of betrayal lingered in the air.

Amidst these weeks, a parade of guests paraded through the Shelby household, and to Vivian's pleasant surprise, most of them proved to be delightful company. The familial bonds deepened, and she found herself getting along remarkably well with the Shelby siblings. Arthur and John, in particular, seemed genuinely happy to see her, often extending their visits to engage in lively conversations. Despite her initial reservations, Vivian even had the opportunity for a tête-à-tête with Polly.

Polly, akin to Thomas, exuded an intimidating aura, but to Vivian's relief, she discovered a charming and amiable woman beneath the formidable exterior. It felt like an unspoken invitation into the Shelby family fold, a prospect that simultaneously thrilled and unnerved her. The magnetic pull towards the Shelby clan seemed irresistible, despite the rational voice advising caution.

The stories she overheard were often dark and ominous, painting a vivid picture of a criminal world steeped in violence and intimidation. Intrigued, she found herself contemplating whether the ominous image she perceived was an accurate reflection or merely a façade—perhaps kindness lurked beneath the veneer, reserved for those within their own circle. 

Her father's own checkered past as a smuggler had already exposed her to the shadows of an illicit world. Night after night, he navigated the clandestine routes, smuggling goods across borders in pursuit of a meager living. Despite the dangers inherent in such a life, the financial rewards were modest at best. The Shelby family, she reckoned, operated on a grander scale, dealing with challenges and threats that transcended the clandestine realm of smuggling. The prospect of violence and intimidation loomed large, inevitable in their line of work. 

What she's however also learned from her father is to not ask questions about something that doesn't concern you, so she is taking caution, before the stories are true and she's thrown in the Cut.

Ada paid Vivian a visit yesterday, inquiring about a suitable time for them to meet and talk. Vivian, however, found herself entangled in the demanding web of work responsibilities, unable to secure any time off. This made Ada, quick to express her dissatisfaction, shook her head, "Typical Tommy, he works every hour of the day, and so must his staff.." 

Vivian confided in Ada, expressing her yearning for a moment of respite, a chance to reclaim a semblance of life for herself rather than being perpetually tethered to the demands of others. Ada, sympathetic to Vivian's plight, offered to intervene on her behalf with Tommy, proposing to secure her some much-needed free time. However, Vivian, mindful of potential embarrassment and the precariousness of her job, politely declined Ada's generous offer. 

"You see.. This is exaclty why we need to talk about women's rights, this is fucking ridiculous. You know Vivian, if you get fired, I have a place for you to stay, untill you've found something okay? Perhaps even a job." Vivian raised an eyebrow in surprise, "Are you sure?" "Yeah, definitely love, women need to have each other's backs!"