The Mindful Walk

"God I need to go on a walk," you yell as you stomp away from your mother.
"Fine," she replies, "just be home by dark I guess."
You rush out the door and down your driveway until you reach the trail by your house. Sighing, you start down the path at a brisk pace. Consumed by your thoughts, you don't realize how fast your walking. Or that you are breathing heavily.
Crack!
Your head whips around at the sudden noise and it snaps you out of your thoughts. A feeling of anxiety creeps in. You hadn't realized that the sun was setting.You didn't have a jacket on. Your phone was at 1%.
"Shit," you curse under your breath as you sit down on a nearby tree stump. You ponder if you should run back home before true dark falls. But you must've been at least a 15 minute run from the trailhead. And that was if you were a track star. Which you aren't.
"We'll I guess running couldn't hurt," you consider as you stand up, getting ready to start your trek back home.
CRACK!
Your head snaps up to see a dark figure approaching you.
"Actually," the man says as he nears you "running can hurt."
It takes you a few moments to recognize the man with the night darkness setting in.
You gasp in realization.
"Wait...Dirk?"
The kind man nods as he stops in front of you at a respectable distance.
"Yes y/n," he says smoothly "it is me, Dirk. And I have another skill to teach you today."
"B-b-but," you stutter "I thought you only lived in the walls?"
"I can emerge from any surface made of wood," He explains with a smile.
You nod in understanding, though still in shock of the sudden appearance of this man.
"This skill is called a mindful walk," he begins to explain "In which you walk at a slower pace and pay attention to the sensations you experience in the moment."
This sounded the complete opposite of what you had just done. You sit down and think about your experience tonight. You had lost track of time. And didn't even notice how fast you were moving until your legs began to ache and you had to stop.
"So," Dirk starts "are you willing to give it a try?"
You nod in affirmation. Dirk offers his hand and you take it allowing him to help you stand.
"My house is that way," you say pointing one way. He smiles, let's go of your hand and starts down the path. You follow him and match his pace.
"This feels a lot slower than how I usually walk," you tell the kind man next to you.
"And does that bring up any emotions?" Dirk questions.
You ponder the question for a few moments before answering him. "No not really," you'd say " it actually feels nice to slow down and take in my surroundings."
Dirk smiles and nods in agreement, looking around the dark and fresh woods.
The pair of you continue down the path in silence.
Once you reach the trail head you stop and face Dirk.
"Thank you for getting me home Mr. Dirk," you say shyly as you push some loose hair behind your ear.
"It is my pleasure y/n," he replies gently "sleep well."
You start towards your drive way then pause. You look back to the trailhead you just left.
Dirk was already gone, probably waiting in the walls of your home for when you need him next.