College Life Part 2

A/N: I literally don't know how bid day and rush or any of that works so shh.

Sitting on the Yale campus lawn, you reflect on your first few weeks as a college student. You had moved into a dorm, rushed, went to a football game, matched with a professor on tinder, and other typical college moments.

Today was an important day in deciding the trajectory of your college experience.

It was bid day.

The envelope in your hand contained all the bids you had received.

But what if no one bid on me? 

The thought of not being wanted crushed you. But unfortunately, you had a physical paper evaluating that exact fear.

"Here goes nothing," you sigh taking a key to open the life-changing envelope.

"Y/n," a buttery voice sounded, "wouldn't you like to ground yourself before embarking on an emotionally charged task?"

You dropped the letter and keys onto the lawn, your gaze snapping up and searching for the source of the wise words. Of course, it was Dirk, but where was he and how did he read your mind? Getting up, you wander around the lawn, looking behind trees, under benches, and inside trashcans.

"Up here y/n," Dirk's drawling voice called from above you.

Looking up you are shocked that Dirk was perched on a tree branch like a spider monkey. He grinned widely and gracefully shimmied down the tree trunk. Now standing next to you Dirk placed a comforting hand on your shoulder.

"It's good to see you y/n."

"It's good to see you too Dirk, but I'm busy I need to open this immediately so I find out my future," you rushed out in one breath, looking down at the envelope. But your gaze fell to empty hands.

"What the f-" you start, snapping your head up to look around for where you dropped your possession. After scanning the area for a minute you look back at Dirk, who was wearing a sly expression.

"Looking for this?" He asked, holding up your envelope with a cheeky grin. You lurch to grab it but Dirk reaches his arm above his head, keeping it out of your reach.

"I think we should practice some grounding before opening this, don't you think?"

Huffing, you stop jumping for it. He was so much taller than you. Stupid genes. "Yeah, I know I should," you say reluctantly, "I was just so excited and nervous."

"I'm glad you agree! Let's begin." Dirk sat down cross-legged and motioned for you to do the same. You settled down and waited for him to go on about some DBT skill.

"We are going to do grounding through a skill called 54321," he explained. You weren't sure where he was going with this, you obviously knew how to count, you got into Yale! "After taking a couple of deep breaths we'll identify 5 things we see, 4 things we can feel, 3 things we hear, 2 things we smell, and 1 thing we taste. Do you have any questions?" Dirk finished. You shake your head.

"Alright then, inhale."

You breathe in deep.

"Exhale."

You sigh out.

"Good job. A few more times," Dirk instructs.

After taking a few deep breaths your mentor instructs you to find 5 things you can see.

1: A squirrel chewing bark.

2: A retainer.

3: A crushed Celcius can.

4: Your Spanish teacher.

5: A cloud shaped like a crow.

"Now find 4 things that you can feel around you," Dirk says smoothly.

1: The cold ground.

2: Your Yale hoodie.

3: The sun on your back.

4: Sweaty palms

"3 things you hear."

1: A skateboard

3: A bird squawking.

4: Dirk's breathing

"2 smells."

1: Dirks cologne (teakwood and musk).

2: Freshly trimmed grass.

"And finally 1 taste,"

The mint gum in your mouth.

You flutter your eyes open, and a new sense of calm flows through you.

"I think you're ready to open this," Dirk smiles, handing the envelope to you.

Even though you're calm, you rip the envelope open with a burning passion. You pull out the slip of paper holding the names of sororities that bid on you.

"Oh my god, " you gasp. "They ALL bid on me!!!" You jump up and down in mindful excitement.

Dirk chuckled deeply at your reaction. "Which one will you bid on y/n?"

"Definitely Pi phi Kappa Theta Nu Delta!!!!" You scream still doing a happy dance.

This was going to be a great year.

A/N: please don't let this hurt my chances of getting into frat parties :(
Also here is some fan art for this chapter!!!

A/N: please don't let this hurt my chances of getting into frat parties :(Also here is some fan art for this chapter!!!