Chapter - 02

My institutions were right, this was the 10th guy I had rejected once and for all.

"Mummy, you did not to date allow me to have even one online friend. Cause they aren't safe. And now you expect me to marry a stranger. Funny, is it? My life's a joke- "I said brimming over my past dates.

"Don't get me started with this again, why don't you understand?"

At this point, I knew she was annoyed. Like hell.

"That's why Dhani di" I bit my lips. It was a mistake. Why did I have to say this? My mouth.

"I did not mean to Ma," I said apologetically.

"That's the truth I suppose" she whispered under her breath, so slow not expecting me to hear it out. But I did.

I could feel her weeping. Yes, it reminded her of that day. The day she left us. The day Dhani ran away from home.

I bolted across the room. I saw Ma sitting on the bed. She was going through that box of memories. The pearls that we wove together. The basket that we carved. The stars that set glimmered. And the flowers that once blossomed.

Tears rolled out of her eyes, dripping tenderly she shoved them off before it made things worse.

"Ma, I know, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that." I tried to console her.

"I know Roohi. You might hate me for this but please give this a shot. After I go you won't have anybody with you. Watching you get married and settled will give me immense joy. A feeling you won't seek to imagine. So beautiful, so warm. You might think you are independent and after all, it would not matter but you don't get it. I need to exit someday. Somewhere far where even you wouldn't be able to catch me. Maybe to your Pa. That time you wouldn't have anyone with you. That day when it arrives, it is a dagger slicing through my soul. A pain you wouldn't want to discover. The feeling of watching you grow lonely and sorrowful is not something I can bear. As a last wish from a mother to her daughter, do this for my sake."

"Ma" I dropped to her knees. "Why are you stressing over the fact that you are leaving me? I mean you are young. You did not even cross half a century. Did something happen? Even last night you kept repeating the same words?" A chilled jaw and cold words. These words could not tend to escape the covering. My eyes glistened with crystals. Weeping over the unthinkable.

"Tumour" She mumbled.

My heart stopped.

My world stopped

The surroundings stopped.

I stopped.

"Why did you not tell me this before."

"Because" I hugged her.

"Ma you are going to recover don't worry. You are and you will." These words found their way out. Out to my universe which had just shattered and was rebuilt. The blocks which in turn were blades piercing through my rhythm. Because she was everything to me. My mummy, she was the one who brought me up and was about to perish in thin air. My world revolved around her. This tiny world meant ever so big for me. My world was disappearing. I love her. My mummy. I wouldn't ever let this happen.

"Aree baba listen to me first" Even in this situation she sounded so confident. And here ounces of water were being shed from these poor eyes.

"First tell me when did you find out about this?" I questioned her, still tears dripping out.

"Last week. I was not keeping well, just went for a normal check-up and found out about this. She says they suspect it but aren't sure. I am worried about the cost, it's very high"

"Ma how can you think about money in this? Whom am I here earning for? We are going to fight this together. Whatever it takes."

"What if I have a tumor and won't survive? I want to see my grandchildren. Marry fast." She said as I could see her smile spreading through the tears.

"Ma please don't say this."

I cried my heart out.

She wept her heart out.

We both did.

"Just complete this last wish of mine."

I did not say anything. But I knew it was time for me to mingle from a single.