Chapter 3: the initial changes

From the outset, my mother said, "Making Danny look like a girl will not be too difficult, the real challenge will be getting him to behave like a girl - all the actions, gestures, facial expressions, ways of talking, walking and so on. In my view, the only way he will get on top of this, will be for him to live as a girl, it won't just come from a few hours of training each week."

Unfortunately, I knew she was right.

So the plan was for me to live full-time as a girl for the rest of the year (three months). Hopefully by then, I could front Aunt Hilda and be sufficiently convincing as a girl to carry the scam off.

Innsen was worried about Aunt Hilda's health and wanted to move earlier, but Mum was adamant.

"We only get one shot at this, we mustn't blow it by trying to be too hasty."

So Innsen would report to his client that he had a promising lead and then finally 'track us down' at the end of the year.

If there was one thing my parents excelled at, it was dealing with off-beat and slightly shady stuff. They knew how to go about things, had contacts, were aware of how 'things were'. They became almost instant experts on how to feminise me.

So here I was, a mere two weeks later, standing in my bedroom with Mum fussing around me. I was wearing special transgender underwear and a pair of stick-on fake boobs. My hair was now in a girls style; I had pierced ears and was wearing light make-up; I was clad in the girls uniform of the new high school that I would be attending when the final term of the year started next week.

"You really are gorgeous," Mum said trying to be positive.

"Stop it, please Mum."

I was on the verge of tears. My transformation seemed to be the realisation of the nightmares I'd been having when I'd first started puberty about eighteen months ago. I'd developed a fear, bought on by the way my face looked I suspect, that I would change from a boy into a woman, not a man. I'd not told anybody about these visions, and here it was . . . oh, lord. Could I do this?

My new school was a forty minute bus ride away, but at least it was unlikely that there would be anyone there who knew me as Danny Romley. I was enrolled as a girl, Sheridan Romley with the preferred name of Sheri.

The story we told the school admin was that I had been raised on a cattle station. We hoped that this would explain away any boyish mannerisms I might inadvertently show. We had actually lived on a cattle station for six months before we came here so I wasn't ignorant of that life style.

I was as nervous as hell, but the kids and teachers at the school were generally friendly so I slowly began to relax. And, would you believe it, there were even a couple of boys trying to chat me up. I mean, what the fuck . . . ?

Nevertheless, I'd pretty much settled down after a few weeks. I was hanging out with a group of girls and, although they weren't aware of it, they were teaching me heaps.

I was still tending to revert to boy behaviour at home, despite being dressed up as a girl. Mum was getting stuck into all of us about this.
"Look everybody. We do not have Danny anymore, we have Sheri. Do not call her Danny."

"You boys, she is your sister, not your brother, treat her as your sister. Jonas, she is our daughter, let's not forget that."

Did it really have to go that far? But again, I had to concede that Mum was right.

Any silly notions I'd originally had, that all I was going to have to do was to dress up a few times for Aunt Hilda, were long gone.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I was also taking hormones; another one of Mum's ideas.

"Just for a while, darling. They will help soften your contours and reduce your beard growth."

Beard growth? That was a laugh, what I had didn't even qualify as bumfluff.

"But don't they make men grow breasts?"

"Perhaps a little, but don't worry, they'll go away later."

Sigh, "Okay, I suppose so."