Chapter 9: Auntie's reaction

The story was to be that when Mr Innsen found us (the second time, but supposably the first) he didn't know that I was transgender and we didn't tell him - none of his business. At that stage, we would say that I had been living openly as a female for about four months, but secretly for much longer.

Innsen didn't explain about the Will or Aunt Hilda's wishes in that regard, simply telling us that she wanted to see her nephew and particularly wanted to meet any daughters he might have. Mum and Dad regarded me as a girl, their daughter, so off we went to see Auntie.

And things had just developed from there.

We arranged for Dad to ring Mr Innsen at the same time that I was revealing myself to my great aunt.

Innsen didn't like it of course, seeing all that money fly out the window. He protested, but there was nothing he could do. He was in a very vulnerable position, so had no choice but to go along with the story.

. . . . . . .

"Auntie, I'm sorry. I should have told you long ago, maybe I was a bit scared. We keep it a secret because we don't want people to discriminate against me or treat me badly."

She sat there looking a little distant, perhaps absorbing the news.

I spoke quietly, "Auntie, if you'd rather not see me anymore, I'll understand. I'll return the car . . ."

She snorted, "Sheridan, are you being coy or just silly . . . 'not see me', 'return the car', indeed. Young lady, if you don't know what I think about you by now, then I will just have to tell you."

"You are probably the best thing that has ever happened to me. To me, you are a sort of surrogate daughter and you have turned my twilight years into an absolute delight. I am so looking forward to having you living here with me when you go to university."

"Sheri, you could have told me that you were from Mars, and I wouldn't care as long as I can still have you around me."

"Oh, Auntie," was all I could say as I hugged her.