Chapter 5: Aunt Hilda

Finally, the test. It was early in the new year, and Dad and I were going to visit Aunt Hilda. She was a three-hour drive away and lived in a very upmarket suburb on the outskirts of the city.

Yet, her house was nothing special, it looked like an old farmhouse, but it was set in spacious grounds and had superb views. I was to find out later, that the house was the original farmhouse of the farming property that used to be here.

Aunt Hilda had bought the rundown farm a long time ago, then waited and watched as the city expanded towards her. She'd lobbied to have the land rezoned and then subdivided it into large allotments. She'd demanded very high prices for the lots and had had to be patient.

Her approach led to the area becoming very exclusive and Aunt Hilda had made a fortune.

"Auntie, this is my daughter, Sheridan. We call her Sheri."

"How do you do, Sheri."

"I'm very pleased to meet you, Aunt Hilda."

"What a beautiful girl. Jonas, you must have married someone very attractive."

"I did," Dad responded with a laugh. He was handling the situation really well.

"Come on, this way, please. We'll have some lunch and you can tell me all about yourselves."

It hadn't been anywhere near as difficult as I'd expected; in fact, it was pretty easy.

Aunt Hilda seemed quite taken by me. She asked me to visit her regularly - she would pay my travel costs - and she wanted to meet Mum.

Okay, I/we can handle that . . . can't we? But for how long was this going to continue? How much longer did I have to be Sheri?

I mean, look at me. I had a small bust now, the false boobs were gone, and I just wore a normal padded bra. I had piles of girls' clothes and often pestered Mum for more.

What the hell was I doing?

The fact was that I wanted to be like my girlfriends at school. I wanted to be the way they were, to do the things they did. That was right, wasn't it? That was the best way of pulling off my girl disguise, wasn't it?