Chapter 7: Sheri the girl

"Shut up, Jerry. As usual you don't know what you're talking about."

"Bullshit!" he shouted and then stomped off to his room muttering, "Why do I have to have such a little bitch of a sister."

Mum called out from the kitchen, "I hope you boys aren't being mean to your sister."

"Nah, Mum. It's just Sheri and Jez having one of their little spats," Hec called back.

"He is such a bloody pain sometimes, Mum," I yelled as I, in turn, stomped off to my room.

I thumped down on my dressing table stool and glared into the mirror. Shit, I shouldn't let myself get so upset with him. But he wouldn't listen, such a bloody know-it-all.

I threw myself down on my bed, staring at the ceiling, still fuming and thinking.

Damn it. Jerry's sixteen now, I suppose it's a time of change for him; maybe I should cut him a bit more slack. You know, try to be a nicer sister to him rather than getting stuck into him every time he says something stupid.

Yeah, Sheri, that's right, be a bit more tolerant, a bit more grown up.

I lay there thinking more, heading into the taboo area: what was I doing? where was I going? What was I really?

This was the stuff I didn't want to think about, avoided thinking about.

Then I lifted up my hands and looked at the long slim fingers with their sparky blue-painted nails. I dropped my hands onto my breasts - they were a pretty good shape and size - definitely not big hooters, but decent enough.

Oh, hell, bloody hell.

I began to feel strange, this weird feeling coursing through me. Then I could feel my tears coming; I wanted to, needed to, speak to my Mum.

It must have been telepathy, there was a tap on my door and a quiet "Sheri".

"Come in."

She sat on the bed next to me, a sympathetic smile on her face.

"Oh, Mum." The tears were welling in my eyes.

She stroked my cheek still smiling gently.

"Mum, Mum, I don't know what's happened, but I'm a girl, I'm a girl now. I can't go back and try to be a boy again. I can't, I can't. I don't want to."

"It's alright, sweetheart. You don't have to. You're a girl to all of us - a daughter and a sister. To all your friends and everybody else, you're a girl. You can just stay as the lovely girl you are."

The tears were sliding slowly down my cheeks, but they were tears of hope, and of gladness.

My face twisted into a a weak smile. "But will it be alright, Mum? I mean, won't there be offical or legal problems?"

"Of course it will be alright. Don't worry, darling, we'll sort out any legal matters, they won't be an issue."

She had a big smile on her face, "You know, it's nice to have a daughter and such a beautiful one too."

God, I had a terrific mother. I lay there giving her my watery smile and clasping her hand. She leaned forward and kissed me on my forehead, "I'd better go and finish making dinner, love. You can come and help me in a little while if you like."

An extraordinary feeling of relief descended onto me. Wow, it was going to be okay - I was Sheri, I was going to stay as Sheri. I was not far off my eighteenth birthday and not a bad looking chick, even if I say so myself.

I went out to help Mum.