8 | Whispers of Hope

┌───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┐
Chapter Eight
WHISPERS OF HOPE
└───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┘

┌───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┐Chapter EightWHISPERS OF HOPE└───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┘

───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────

No more was needed to say. I was frozen in my spot. District Thirteen was here, and they were here for me. And if they were here there was a very high possibility that Finnick was alive. There was a very high probability that Finnick was the one that sent them.

We got into their car quickly after and Boggs drove it toward where they parked the hovercraft. I didn't say anything the entire trip. A small part of me didn't want to believe that these were the rebels. I wanted to believe that these were Peacekeepers taking me back to the Capitol because that was all that I know is certain.

I wouldn't let myself have hope, because I knew from years of experience that hope will slowly kill you. Instead, I focused on what would happen when I eventually reached the Capitol if these were actually Peacekeepers.

I begin to wonder if I would be tortured normally with the fire or if they would come up with a creative new way to make my life miserable. Would they torture Peeta and Johanna because they know it would hurt me? Most likely.

Peeta and Johanna. I just left them there. They didn't deserve that. If they ever make it out alive I'm going to have to come up with a way to somehow apologize. The guilt from leaving them to be tortured was eating away at me and Boggs must have noticed because he spoke up.

"Thinking about the other victors you left behind?" He asks.

I look up at him clearing my thoughts. I wanted to say yes that I didn't want to leave them, and I almost did as I opened my mouth and then closed it. He could still be a Peacekeeper and he could use my answer against me when we get back to the Capitol. "No," I mumble unsure of what else to say.

I could tell that he knew I was lying but he didn't bother to push the subject any further. I wanted to tell him everything, I wanted to be able to trust him. A part of me was telling me that I could trust him, but a large part of me still had my walls up and wouldn't let anyone in.

If I actually do end up going to Thirteen like that have said then I need to get them to go back for the others. I can't even imagine what they are going through because I escaped. I hope Johanna doesn't hate me because of it.

Minutes seemed to pass by quickly which seemed to ease my nerves a little bit. There was no guarantee that we were headed further away from the Capitol but the longer we were in the car the more confident I felt that we were actually headed to Thirteen.