Your Story Cover

While the old adage says not to judge a book by its cover, the reality is that first impressions matter – especially on Wattpad. 

Stories with well-designed covers are more likely to grab readers' attention and draw them in. 

A great cover can give readers a glimpse into what your story is about and pique their interest in reading it. To make the most of your story's appearance on Wattpad, it's essential to have a striking and relevant cover that reflects your story's themes and tone. Here are some tips to help you create a cover that captures your story's essence and appeals to potential readers.

Imagery

When designing your cover, it's best to stick with simple and bold imagery that reflects the content of your story. Following the "less-is-more" design philosophy, it's important to ask yourself if everything you've included in your is absolutely necessary. If not, consider removing it. Just as your words create a tone within your story, your imagery should also reflect that tone. For example, if your story is angsty and dramatic, consider using moody and dark imagery. If your story has a cute and feel-good vibe, try incorporating bright and sweet visuals. By aligning your imagery with the tone of your story, you'll be able to create a cohesive and engaging cover that draws in potential readers.

Fonts

Selecting the right font is a critical aspect of creating an effective cover design that complements the imagery. If you have traditional or straightforward imagery, choose a classic and timeless font that matches the tone of your story. For more creative or playful imagery, consider a font that's evocative and reflects the personality of your story. Regardless of the type of imagery you use, it's important to keep the font legible and easy to read. This will give your cover a polished and professional look that captures readers' attention.

Take Inspiration from Elsewhere

Looking at cover designs you admire is an excellent way to learn and improve your cover design skills. Take inspiration from covers that have caught your eye, whether it's from your own library or while browsing Wattpad. Analyze what specifically drew you to those covers and think about how you can incorporate similar elements into your own cover design to make it stand out. By doing so, you'll be able to create a cover that not only reflects your story but also catches the attention of potential readers.

Experiment

Wattpad provides a great opportunity to test what resonates with readers. With the help of the community, you can learn, experiment, and refine your cover design until it's just right. Try creating different variations of your cover to see which style or mood attracts the most attention. You can also turn to your friends or fans and ask them to provide feedback on which cover they prefer. Some user-run awards also hold cover contests, which are a great way to see how well your cover does against others.

Update

Updating your cover periodically is a smart way to attract new readers and give your story a fresh look. Even the most dazzling covers can lose their appeal over time, and design trends can change. A new and distinctive cover can help draw in new readers and re-energize the community. It's an excellent way to encourage readers who may have passed over your story before to take a second look. Think of it as a refresh that can breathe new life into your story and attract a wider audience.

Find a Cover Shop

The Wattpad community offers a wealth of free resources and services for writers. You can find several graphic designers eager to help create beautiful graphics for Wattpad writers. Whether it's covers, banners, or aesthetics, there's always someone who can help you make one. If you have very little experience with design and have no idea what you are doing, this may be the overall best option for you. 

I'd recommend Opia Graphics, a cover shop run by The Savant Girls Community