Your Writing: Style

In this section, we'll explore the topic of writing style and how it can impact the effectiveness of your writing.

Writing style refers to the way in which we express ourselves through our writing. While there's no one-size-fits-all approach to writing style, there are a few key elements that can contribute to a more effective and engaging style.

One of these elements is readability, which refers to the use of words, phrases, sentences, and paragraphs to convey information and ideas clearly. A readable writing style is one that flows smoothly from one paragraph to the next, and from one section of the story to another.

For example, consider the following paragraph:

"John woke up early in the morning. He got out of bed and went to the bathroom. He brushed his teeth and then took a shower. After he got dressed, he went downstairs to make breakfast."

This paragraph is straightforward and easy to understand, but it lacks elegance. By contrast, consider this revised version:

"John awoke to the sound of birds chirping outside his window, the soft light of dawn filtering through the curtains. He rose from bed, his feet sinking into the plush carpet, and made his way to the bathroom. As he brushed his teeth, the cool minty taste flooded his mouth, invigorating him for the day ahead. After a refreshing shower, he dressed in his favorite sweater and jeans and headed downstairs to whip up his signature breakfast omelet."

This paragraph uses more descriptive language to create a more engaging and interesting scene, while still conveying the same information.

Another key element of effective writing style is elegance, which involves the use of appropriate and interesting words, phrases, sentences, and paragraphs to create a graceful and engaging story that captures the reader's attention.

To illustrate the importance of elegance in writing, consider the following example:

"Beth walked down the street. She saw a dog. It was big and brown."

This example is straightforward and easy to understand, but it lacks the descriptive language that can capture the reader's attention. By contrast, consider this revised version:

"Beth strolled down the sun-dappled street, her eyes wandering over the charming houses and manicured lawns. Suddenly, she caught sight of a massive brown dog, its shaggy fur gleaming in the sunlight. Its eyes were as big as saucers, and it barked with a deep, throaty growl."

This revised version uses more descriptive language and sensory details to create a more engaging and interesting scene.

To improve both readability and elegance in your writing, there are a few strategies you can employ. For instance, it's important to write in easy-to-understand paragraphs that focus on a single idea. Paragraphs that are too short or too long can be distracting and difficult to follow, so aim for a length of around 5-7 sentences.

For example, consider the following paragraph:

"The sun was shining brightly in the sky. The birds were singing sweetly in the trees. The flowers were blooming in the garden. It was a beautiful day."

This paragraph is too short and lacks detail, making it difficult for the reader to fully immerse themselves in the scene. By contrast, consider this revised version:

"The bright sun shone down from a cloudless blue sky, casting a warm and inviting glow over the world below. The sweet melody of birdsong filled the air, as robins and finches flitted from tree to tree, their colorful plumage a riot of color against the green leaves. Down in the garden, the first blooms of spring were bursting forth, their vibrant petals a cheerful contrast to the rich brown earth. It was a day that seemed to overflow with the promise of new beginnings."

This revised version uses sensory details and descriptive language to create a more engaging and immersive scene.

Additionally, it's important to communicate facts and opinions as succinctly as possible. Avoid using empty or cliched phrases, such as "in general" or "basically," as these can detract from the clarity and impact of your writing.

For example, consider the following sentence:

"Basically, the point of this story is that hard work pays off."

This sentence uses the word "basically" as a crutch, detracting from the impact of the message. By contrast, consider this revised version:

"The story's message is clear: hard work and perseverance are the keys to success."

This revised version communicates the same message more succinctly and effectively.

Another key consideration for effective writing style is the use of active voice over passive voice. The passive voice can be wordy and less engaging, whereas the active voice puts the emphasis on the people or things doing the action, which can make your writing more dynamic and interesting to read.

For example, consider the following sentence:

"The ball was thrown by John."

This sentence uses passive voice, which makes it less engaging and harder to follow. By contrast, consider this revised version:

"John threw the ball."

This revised version uses active voice, which puts the emphasis on John and makes the sentence more engaging and interesting toread.

It's also important to keep sentences relatively short, as overly long sentences can be difficult to follow and may obscure the writer's meaning. Similarly, avoid overusing adjectives, as this can slow down the flow of your writing and make it less engaging.

For example, consider the following sentence:

"Mary walked down the long, winding, cobblestone street, admiring the tall, majestic trees that lined the path and the colorful, fragrant flowers that bloomed on either side."

This sentence uses too many adjectives, which slows down the flow of the sentence and makes it harder to read. By contrast, consider this revised version:

"Mary strolled down the cobblestone street, admiring the trees and flowers that lined the path."

This revised version uses fewer adjectives, making the sentence more concise and easier to read.

Finally, be mindful of your use of pronouns and be sure to identify important people and terms in your story. Using short words wherever possible can also help to keep your writing moving at a steady pace and ensure that readers stay engaged and interested throughout.

For example, consider the following paragraph:

"She went to the store. She saw a man. He was wearing a red shirt."

This paragraph overuses pronouns, making it difficult to follow the action. By contrast, consider this revised version:

"Mary went to the store and saw a man wearing a red shirt."

This revised version uses the person's name instead of a pronoun, making the sentence more clear and engaging.

In summary, a good writing style is one that is both readable and elegant. To achieve this, it's important to write in easy-to-understand paragraphs, communicate facts and opinions succinctly, use active voice, keep sentences relatively short, and avoid overusing adjectives and pronouns. By following these strategies, you can create writing that is engaging, informative, and enjoyable to read.