thirty four

Flora sighed through her tears, hiccuping as she heard a knock coming from the other side of the closed bathroom door.

"You good?" Steve's voice was hesitant, spoken slow.

Flora lied through her teeth. "Yeah! Totally."

Steve naturally didn't buy it. "Hot chocolates ready, Flower. I expect you out in five and then we can talk, okay?"

He didn't get a reply, but sighed in relief when the shower turned off, knowing Flora had listened to him.

The girl in the bathroom dried herself off, staring into the mirror with disdain. What was it with her that left her so alone? There must have been something.

She ended up getting dressed quicker than expected, standing to the door with a hesitant hand over the doorknob. It was only Steve. It was Steve. He knew her better than anyone.

And so she opened the door, and stared at the boy. He stood, confused, until he saw the look in Flora's eyes.

He was at her side before she could tale another step, bringing her to his chest. She lay one hand on the back of his neck and another on his arm, head buried into his midsection.

"Why am I always second choice?"

This shattered Steve. Flora should never think of herself that way, and wanted it to be known.

"Who made you feel this way? Was it the Eddie guy, with Carnelia?" He quizzed, voice curious.

"Them. And you. And Nancy. Hell, even Jonathan." Flora expressed as Steve led them to her bed, pulling her closer into his arms.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you choose Nancy. Everything's okay. You two get closer and I know that's expected but I just felt like we weren't us. And then she was obviously in love with Jonathan and just stringing you along. And Eddie, he's nice and someone I guess I could have settled for. And then he's smitten after one look at Lia. It's not exactly fair."

"No, it's not." Agreed Steve, "But Flower, I hope you know that one day someone will be the one. And you will be first, and you were never my second choice and never will be."

He got no reply. He looked down, seeing Flora asleep. "You've always been my first choice, and always will be. I was your first, and I intend to be your last."

And thankfully for the Harrington boy, Flora really was asleep. She didn't hear a word.

The next day, the four were up and ready by a suitable time, deciding to use the meat to lure Dart (the baby Demogorgon) to the junkyard where the boys had hid with Eleven the year prior. And to use up all the meat, Steve had driven them to the set of train tracks which led to the junkyard.

As the older teens were unloading everything from the boot of Steve's car, Dustin's walkie came to life.

"Well, well, well, look who it is." Dustin spoke into his mic, and Flora pulled out her own walkie and tapped into the frequency, listening in.

"Sorry, man. My stupid sister turned it off." Lucas complained from the other side.

"Tell Erica that if she does that again I'll shorten her allowance." Flora began, "Also, don't call her stupid, Sinclair."

"Well, when you were having sister
problems, Dart grew again, he escaped, and I'm pretty sure he's a baby Demogorgon." Dustin chimed in, irritated.

"Wait. What?" Lucas asked, alarmed.

Dustin rolled his eyes. "I'll explain later. Meet me, Flora, Carnelia and Steve at the old junkyard."

Lucas only had one thing to say about that. "Steve?"