thirty five

The four did eventually get to the junkyard, with sore legs and sore heads from the sun, even though it was early November.

Steve took his sunglasses from his face, surveying the area. He gave them to Flora, who placed them on the top of her head.

"Oh, yeah. Yeah, this will do. This will do just fine." He then turned to Dustin. "Good call, dude." Dustin grinned at the boy's words.

Steve walked away, dumping the meat as he went. Carnelia glanced down at Dustin. "You're a smart kid."

Flora had made her way to Steve, grinning. "Those kids are geniuses. I've told you before!"

The four set up the last of the meat, and then heard a familiar voice in the distance.

"I said medium-well!"

Their heads shot up, seeing Lucas and Max. Carnelia and Steve hadn't met her before, looking at the redhead with confused expressions. "Who's that?"

"Sinclair! Mayfield! What an honour it is to see you both!" Flora greeted with a grin as Dustin and Lucas frowned at eachother, the former grabbing Flora and pulling her behind a car, Lucas in tow.

"You told her?" Dustin raised his eyebrows, surprised at Lucas' actions.

"You guys told Carnelia?" Lucas shot back.

"She knew about Brenner and the lab. Family problems." Smiled Flora.

"Doesn't count." Dustin summarised.

"So what?" Lucas shrugged.

"So what?" Dustin scoffed.

"You wanted to tell her, too." Lucas pointed out.

"But I didn't, all right? We agreed not to tell her and to look for Dart." Dustin harshly muttered back.

Flora paled. "How many laws have we broke from this?"

She was ignored. "Who you conveniently found." Lucas pointed out, referring to Dart.

"Are you suggesting that I'm lying?" Dustin questioned, offended even though Lucas was right.

"I'm saying you have a creepy little bond with him." Lucas stated.

"Yeah, that was before he turned into a Demogorgon."

"And you haven't heard from Mike?" Lucas then questioned.

"No."

"Or Will?"

"No."

"Hopper?"

"No! No one is around." Dustin finally exclaimed.

"I haven't heard from Nancy or Jonathan either. Hell, I've not even heard a word from Joyce!"

"Why do you think I'm with Steve Harrington?" Dustin then asked.

"Because you're with Flora." Lucas said, "But still...Something's..."

"Wrong. I agree."

"Which is why we need as much help as we can get." Flora finished, the trio leaning over the car door to watch Max and Carnelia, the newest additions to the group.

"She didn't believe me anyway." Lucas sighed.

"You probably didn't tell it right." Dustin joked with a small laugh.

"That must be it." Lucas agreed, turning to Dustin. Both boys extended their hands.

"So, we good?"

Before they could shake, Steve hit the side of the rusty car they had been squatting behind.

"Hey! Dickheads! How come the only ones helping me out are Carnelia and this random girl? We lose light in 40 minutes. Let's go. Let's go, I said!"

The trio scoffed as Steve walked away. "All right, asshole! God!" Yelled Dustin.

"Okay! Stupid." Scoffed Lucas.

Flora picked up an old metal slab and scoffed loudly. "Don't call me a dickhead you fucking prick!"

The six made the most of those 40 minutes, collecting old metal panels, making a gasoline trail, and creating the most secure bus anyone has seen. It was decked out in metal, and hopefully impenetrable to Demogorgons, baby or not.

When it hit nightfall, Lucas made his way to the top of the bus, using his binoculars to survey the misty area.

Steve was sitting opposite Flora, the boy flicking a lighter on and off. Flora was toying with her guns. Max was sitting on her own, unsure, and Dustin was hastily and quietly filling Carnelia in on who Max Mayfield even was.

"So you really fought one of these things before?" Max began, eyes on Steve.

He nodded. "So have I," started Flora, "But it was a lot less professional. I've also been to this other world, so I think I know its pretty real."

"And you're, like, totally, 100% sure it wasn't a bear? And that you weren't lost in the forest?" Max still slightly doubted the group and the story about last year, but was still somewhat willing to try and learn.

"Shit. Don't be an idiot. Okay? It wasn't a bear. Why are you even here if you don't believe us? Just go home." Dustin scoffed harshly, belittling Max with a glare.

The girl stood, offended. "Geesh. Someone's cranky. Past your bedtime?" She then clutched the ladder, climbing up to where Lucas was on top of the bus.

Steve smirked to Dustin. "That's good. Just show her you don't care."

Dustin frowned. "I don't." Steve was winking to the younger boy. "Why are you winking, Steve? Stop."

Flora kicked Steve. "You, Steve Harrington, cannot tell when people aren't showing interest."

His eyes met Flora's. "What do you mean?"

"Henderson wasn't just showing he didn't care as a flirting technique. He was being honest, and quite frankly, mean."

Dustin felt as if he'd walked in on two parents fighting. Carnelia was also getting the same vibe. "I'd love to see you guys as parents."

"That's irrelevant." Muttered Flora, "What’s more important is making sure Dustin's feelings are in check."

She pat the seat beside her, Dustin hesitantly sitting in that spot. "Do you like Max?"

He shook his head and said a quiet "No".

"Okay, well, that's okay! And does Lucas like Max?"

Dustin nodded. "He does."

"And that's okay!" Flora repeated. "I hope you know I'm doing this because my parents never did this with me."

Dustin laughed. "Oh, okay. I'm happy for Lucas, though."

Flora brightened, and turned to look at Steve, whose eyes were already on the girl. "Stevie, this is how a man sorts out his feelings."

Steve seemed distracted, but nodded anyway. His mind was stuck on what Carnelia had said. Him and Flora as parents....Well, it would be a wild ride, he knew that much. He could see it too, he'd always known he wanted six kids, but the mother... he'd never thought on it until Nancy. He knew she wasn't the right one, it wasn't her type of thing.

Flora, however, was amazing with the kids. She cared for them, fought for them, and even gave them allowances. She was also, most importantly, their personal chauffeur.

Yeah, maybe Flora and Steve would be good parents.

And then their joking moments were over when a familiar growl set over the area, causing Flora to shoot up in alarm.