06. lunch at 5pm

IMPORTANT SIDE NOTE: This chapter was based off of Courtney Barret's song: Elevator Operator. Please listen to it, it's my jam rn.

Michael went to his parent's house for the day. Although he didn't do much socializing with them, his parents liked the idea of knowing where Michael was at all times. He might've not been the guy to sneak out and go to parties, but his older sister was. Of course his parents worried about Michael, he believed worrying immensely about your child was rule number 78 in the "Parent's Handbook".

Michael had been staring at a screen for hours now. Feeling sick at the sight of his computer, he dodged his way through the city commuters. His initial plan was to just stroll around but then he decided to go elsewhere.

Headphone wielding to the hospital, he tripped over a pothole that's not been filled in. The government did a pretty crap job with that stuff. He walked through the doors, knowing exactly where his feet where leading him. Michael waited for an elevator, one to twenty-two. Luna walked in and waited by his side.

Her heels were high, and her bag looked expensive. Hair pulled so tight, he could see her skeleton. Or maybe that was because of her familiarity with death. Nails painted a pale purple, she looked him up and down with a smile on her lips. He's well used to that smile by now. Michael wondered if she ever stopped smiling.

The elevator dinged and they slowly stepped in, their fingers touch on the last button. Crappy elevator music played in the background.

"How are you?" Luna asked.

"Tired," he replied.

"Besides that," Luna said.

"Okay," he answered.

"Just okay? We better fix that."

Another elevator ding and they walked outside. Silent Michael walked up to the edge of the rooftop. Looking down as if he was going to jump. Luna panicked, she had since this once before, and did not want to see it again. She had thoughts of killing herself one time, how easy it would be. She would be in eternal sleep forever. The thought made her sick.

"Don't jump, Michael! Don't jump off the roof, you got your whole life ahead of you, you're still in your youth." she yelled.

He said, "I think you're projecting the way that you're feeling. I'm not suicidal just idling insignificantly." She mentally cursed at herself for such a foolish thought. Just because he frowned a lot and seemed to be unhappy didn't mean he wanted to off himself. Okay, maybe that was how must suicidal people acted but he was different. Michael continued, "I like to imagine I'm playing SimCity. All the people look like ants from up here."

"So is this almost like a secret hide out to you?" Luna suggested.

"Yeah, I go up here for perception and clarity. Sometimes even a guy that hates people needs some fresh air," he replied but then added, "why are you here?"

Luna blushed vigorously, how could she explain she was just following him and make it sound less stalker-like. "I..um..came up here for a project. We need to draw a city skyline and I thought why not see one live and take inspiration from it. Yeah, I'm thinking of becoming an Art Major. I really like colors and pencils and art stuff that is artsy," she cut herself off before she could ramble any longer.

Now how could she explain that she wasn't in fact considering becoming an Art Major because she actually sucked at drawing. Her best work included stick figures and squares and triangles for houses.

"Maybe you should show me some of your work," Michael said trying to hide a smile.

"No!" Luna practically yelled, "I mean...I don't show people." This was becoming an even bigger mess. "Well I need to go...eat lunch, I'll see you tonight in bed."

And she ran off awkwardly not even bothering to check the time. It was 5 pm. No one has lunch at 5 pm. Unless you count fake Art Majors that have to draw a city skyline as a project.

(( THIS chapter was soooo cUTE. awkward Luna is literally me omg.))