chapter fifteen

TW slight mention of harassment and putting off safe coping due to stress (so basically what i did during my finals last year :') )

The final exams of Hawkins Highschool were right around the corner, and Billy was stressed.
Because he missed a lot of school during his time in the hospital, he was far behind everyone else, now trying to learn in every free second of his days.
Because of that, he hadn't been little in over a month without even realising how much time had passed, but Max had.
And she was worried about her brother stressing himself out so much, but there was nothing she could do as he pushed her away every time she tried to talk to Billy about it.

Just earlier, the girl had knocked on his door, getting an annoyed „I'm working, Max", but she came in anyways, sitting down on his bed.
„Don't you think you need a break? I haven't seen my little boy in weeks" she tried, but the blond scoffed, not even turning to face her.

„I know, but I can't fail these exams, I'd have to stay for another year and I want to start working full time, okay? I'm fine, I promise. Could you get out now..?" he asked, and Max got up with a sigh.
„Fine, but if you want to be little come see me, okay?"
Billy have a half agreeing hum, sorting through his notes to find another paper.

The girl left his room, entering her own again, and grabbed the walkie from her nightstand, wanting to check in with Lucas as she had nothing else to do and even though they had hung out after school, she missed her boyfriend already.

More days passed, Billy was still stressing himself out, mourning over missed time he could spend learning while he had basketball practice.
Because he was so deep in his thoughts, he didn't realise Tommy was sprinting towards him, until Billy landed on his butt in the middle of the field while the other stole the ball from him and landed a hit as Billy stood up again, whining softly.

„Billy! Are you okay?" Steve asked while jogging over to him, helping the teary boy walk to the benches, hearing their coach scold Tommy.
„Am fine" Billy tried to lie, but the tears prickling in his eyes said otherwise.
„It's okay cupcake, I'm here" the brunette cooed, but Billy wasn't having it.

„Piss off, I said I'm fine. I don't have time for you to baby me for fucks sake" he hissed, aggressively wiping his eyes.
„Billy-" Steve tried again, but to no avail as the blond flipped him off, getting up from the bench again, trying to ignore his aching leg.

Steve sighed. He knew exam season was stressful, and he didn't blame Billy for snapping at him. He was only worried about his friend and little overworking himself, and ending completely burned out.
He tried to talk to Billy after practice, but to no avail, as he was met with some mathematical issue Billy tried to solve in his head while changing.

„Billy, this can't go on. Please, for the love of god do something fun. Doesn't even have to be being small, just go out or something" Steve begged, and the blond looked at him annoyed.
„Fine, if it's that important to you I'll go see some bands at the Hideout. It's Tuesday, I think there's some group playing tonight" he sighed, before running off to snatch the ball from Tommy.

As Billy promised, he actually showed up, scoffing at the few drunks laying on wobbly tables, already half asleep.
The band playing was actually pretty good, as the boy realised, nodding his head to the music.

He recognised the guys on stage from his school, but didn't know any of their names.
Though the lead guitarist looked more familiar than the others, and as Billy actually thought about it, he realised it was Eddie Munson, the guy who had saved him from some nagging comments of Andrew Baker.

He got a feeling that the metalhead was staring at him from the stage, so he shot him a quick smile.
Surprisingly, Eddie returned it, and Billy found himself actually enjoying the music, as they were playing mostly Metallica, which was one of Billy's favourite bands as well.