Volume 1 - Chapter 1

July, Gui Le territory.

The sun blazed high in the sky, so fierce that the trees on both sides of the road seemed to have bowed down in shame.

Four or five travellers, who could no longer stand the scorching heat, were huddled under the shade of the tree, desperately trying to cool themselves. Because of this, the old man with a small tea booth by the unpaved road had a few more customers than usual.

"A cup of tea." A traveller carefully took out his wallet and fished out a few coins, placing it on the table, while fanning himself vigorously.

"Here, a cup of tea for you to soothe your liver and cool the heat." The old man brought the tea and smiled at him. "It's a hot day. Where are you headed to, Mister?"

"Yes, this demon of a day is indeed hot enough to toast one to death." Just one sip of tea seemed to appease his dry, depleted throat. He seemed slightly happier and said, "I'm just hurrying to deliver stock to the border. Sigh, ever since Dong Lin started messing with the border, it's been hard for us traders to earn a living. Luckily the Marquess of Jing-An is pushing that Bei-What's-His-Name away. Otherwise, I would've never known when to go there."

"Yeah, the Marquess of Jing-An is amazing!"

"I know who you're talking about, he's the brother of the King of Dong Lin. He's strong too."

The nearby people laughed. "Who cares about strength? He still got forced back home when he opposed the Marquess of Jing-An, eh?" He drained the remaining content of his cup and placed a few more coins on the table. "Another cup please, Sir!"

Hearing that, the tea seller nodded. "I heard that he's never lost a battle – totally worth his title of being Gui Le's strongest commander."

Suddenly a voice interrupted, "You dare mention the Marquess of Jing-An? He's currently labelled as the traitor of Gui Le."

This struck the tea drinkers crowd like lightning. Their mouths dazedly dropped open.

The tea seller broke the silence. "What are you saying? The Marquess of Jing-An..."

"Do all of you not know?" The newcomer sat down and used his sleeves to fan himself. "I just came out of the city yesterday. Apparently he attempted to assassinate the King and has now escaped out of the capital city. At the moment, the King has commanded everyone to capture him. I heard that the reward is pretty good too."

"But didn't he just stabilise the borderline situation and was returning to the capital to collect his rewards?"

"Heh, isn't it strange. On the very night he was returning to the capital, he tried to assassinate the King. Guess what weapon he used?" The newcomer was dramatising the news, as most of them had their attention on him.

"Must be a precious sword," someone guessed.

"Don't listen to this nonsense," others argued, "There's no way I'd believe that the Marquess of Jing-An would betray us. He's Gui Le's most loyal official, there's no way he'd break the law."

The newcomer saw the others' suspicious looks and stroke his beard. "He used the Precious Heimo Sword, which was personally bestowed to him by the King. And you know, any damage inflicted by that precious sword, no matter how small, will leave a nasty black scar which will never fade."

"But..."

In the midst of their debating, they suddenly heard hooves approaching.

A carriage, probably an ordinary merchant's, had arrived; its curtains tightly drawn. The driver was a man with huge muscles. He threw down two coins, yelling, "Ye old man! Gimme some tea!"