67

Qierou, Yun Chang. The city was still on the peaceful side. The peasants didn't know their little town had become the prey of the Duke of Zhen-Bei as they continued their daily lives.

The Governor's accumulation of anger was still growing.

None of his subordinates found it difficult to find that those two were creating trouble everywhere, deliberately trying to find fault with the Governor by mixing their foul stench into Qierou. Even mud had a temper and the Governor's ability to bear until now was still considered an amazing feat itself.

"They came back again?"

"Yes." His subordinates were rather uncomfortable, "After respectfully sending them away, they would return the next day."

The corners of Fanlu's twitched, his gaze flickering backwards.

Dujing hurriedly stepped forward, bending down to report, "The silver has been sent according to Sir's instructions."

Sigh, those two had far too much of an appetite.

Though it was to be expected, who told him to follow the wrong person, becoming one of Senior Official Gui's people? The Gui family had fallen now, and he always got a beating by the others. Otherwise, there was no way he'd be held down so miserably by these two officials.

Even his clerk's eyebrows drooped considerably. Quite a lot of the strands in his goatee had snapped too.

"Sir," his subordinate suggested, "those two only refuse to go because they see that our Qierou has a bit of wealth. I heard last time they went to Xian Na City, the Xian Na Governor gave them two chicken-heart sized red rubies, and they left in glee. I reckon..."

Fanlu coldly harrumphed. "Chicken-heart sized red rubies? Where are we to find chicken-heart sized rubies for them? We've already given them quite a lot of money."

Dujing stood beside Fanlu, hesitating.

Fanlu pulled a face, while the good natured subordinate backed away.

"Sir, it's actually quite simple." Dujing stepped forward, his eyes narrowed as he said, "Sir may not have precious gemstones, but Qierou has people. Although Qierou is a small city, there are still a few wealthy families, so there must be some ancestral treasures that can satisfy Sir Pu Guang and Sir Pu Sheng."

Fanlu's expression changed, "You want me to extort peasants out of their family heirlooms?" He had been trained in the army as an expert spy so he could readily kill or set fires, but he had never once thought about extorting peasants.

Dujing wryly smiled, as he rubbed his hands. "It's because Sir doesn't agree, that's why I never said it. But Sir, this Sir Pu Guang and Pu Sheng staying here isn't a good plan either. What if you really do annoy them and they go back to the capital to rattle off to the Prince Consort. Sir will be in a lot of danger. They're also on very good terms with the Prince Consort's favourite, General Fei Zhaoxing.

Fanlu felt a sensation like he had just taken a whole mouthful of lard. He frowned, "Who would freely hand over their priceless ancestral heirlooms? I'm afraid we won't be able to buy it either."

Dujing frowned, his expression looking very upset. "We don't mean to do evil; it's really only to protect ourselves. You are a governor, holding all of the lives of the peasants in your hand. Isn't it quite simple task to ask to borrow an item? I'm trying to think for Sir."

Fanlu felt incredibly uncomfortable.

Being the governor of this rubbish city wasn't cool at all. Ever since He Xia gained all the power, each day got harder than the day before. He even went as far to think that it would've been better if he stayed in the army, happily being a lowly spy.