31

Chu Beijie arrived at the capital in the misty, early hours of the morning.

In the distance, the tall city entrance stood, majestic and yet imposing, seeming both familiar yet distant. Beijie squinted and stared for a long time before finally riding forward to meet his welcoming party and dismounting.

"Duke!"

"Our Duke is back!"

"The Duke of Zhen-Bei is finally back!"

The welcoming party not only included government officials but also the many peasants of the city who crowded on both sides of the road. Their mighty general has finally returned.

Their eyes sparkled with endless joy. Only the few high-ranking Dong Lin officials knew the hidden agenda of this occasion and quietly looked away, staying calm and collected, trying desperately to hide the anxiety that would no doubt be present in their eyes.

The head of the welcoming party was Chu Zairan, a court elder and highly respected Dong Lin official. He stood at the front, leading the countless officials behind him and paid his respects to Chu Beijie, "Duke has finally returned to us." Nothing could conceal the joy and excitement in his wise, old eyes.

"Senior Offical." Chu Beijie gestured for the loyal official, who had given up most of his life to serve his country, to rise. Handing his reins to an attendant behind him, Chu Beijie stepped forward and asked, "How is the situation?"

"Not good." Chu Zairan and Chu Beijie strode towards the palace, nodding to acknowledge the cheers of the peasants, "The King has fallen ill."

"Brother?" Chu Beijie froze for a moment before continuing his strides forward. With a furrowed brow he solemnly asked, "How did this happen?"

"Ever since Duke's departure to live in seclusion, the King has been unwell. His chest pain has become unbearable. He isn't able to fall asleep at night. He's been lingering on his deathbed more many days now." Chu Zairan's voice was heavy with sorrow, "Even without the looming war with Yun Chang , Bei Mo and their armies pressing against our borders, I would have begged for Duke's return."

Chu Beijie felt his heart sinking.

Meanwhile, news of Chu Beijie's departure from his secluded residence had already reached a certain residence deep in the mountains near Bei Mo's borders.

Yangfeng suddenly raised her head and gazed at Ze Yin with a stricken look, "He Xia's armies are pressed against the borders yet Chu Beijie would actually leave Pingting behind and head to the capital by himself?"

Ze Yin nods solemnly and replied, "Yes."

"Oh God!" Yangfeng painfully exclaimed, falling into the mahogany chair behind her, clutching the handle desperately and hiding her face. "Pingting must not have told Chu Beijie the truth of what happened yet, otherwise he would never have left her there to avoid rousing suspicion. He must still believe that He Xia and Pingting are still master and servant and has no idea what He Xia had done to her."

Ze Yin watched, his heart breaking at the sight of his beloved wife suffering, and ordered servants to bring out their innocent and carefree infant son. Gently placing the baby into Yangfeng's arms, he cradled her. "Chu Beijie is a true hero and a man among men; he will definitely protect his woman."

Yangfeng pressed the back of her soft and small hands against Ze Yin's palms and mournfully uttered, "I can never forget the look on Pingting's face when she talked about He Xia right before she left. I just don't understand, how could our King be so for mere riches ally himself with He Xia and send his armies to Dong Lin? Doesn't he realise what would happen by enraging Chu Beijie?" She suddenly stopped in realisation and looked up at her Ze Yin's comforting gaze and asked, "Why are you so calm? Does my dear husband see something else in this situation?"