27

Bei Mo's first snow came in the middle of the November.

General Ze Yin chose this time to enter the Royal Residence, to report his retirement from military to the King of Bei Mo.

"Why so sudden?" The Bei Mo King was no longer interested in admiring the snow all of a sudden, as he turned to gape at Ze Yin.

Ze Yin replied, "The danger at the frontier has now passed, so Ze Yin should also fulfill his promise with Yangfeng."

"No longer participating in military affairs so that you can accompany your wife till old, while watching nature unfold itself over the years, am I right? Such a gentlemanly promise." The King of Bei Mo turned away, refusing to say any more. After a while, he finally added, "Does Yangfeng still bear a grudge over the poisoning of Dong Lin's two princes."

Ze Yin sighed heavily, lowering his voice. "A women's kindness should not interfere with national affairs anyway. It's not King's fault."

"So it seems that she still bears a grudge against me. Pity, nothing can replace a good friend." The Bei Mo King had bitter smile as he nodded, "What else could I say? Oh well, oh well. General Ze Yin, you may leave."

The Main General's Residence in Bei Mo, in the midst of snowy skies and earth, had its sign pulled away from above its main entrance, the sign that the King of Bei Mo had personally written.

Ze Yin's intentions in resigning had long been hinted within the residence as the crowd of servants had been with him for many years and were all fiercely loyal. Wherever Ze Yin went, they would follow, so even when news was proved officially, the Residence was calm like usual. Everyone seemed to have mutual understanding as they all packed their luggage themselves without being asked, getting ready to leave Bei Yali.

The snow continued to fall for seven days, no trace of stopping.

The road to leave Bei Yali was snowy white, while only a small group of carriages ambled on it. The carriage wheels pressed against the snow, leaving two long tracks.

One of the most decorated carriages in the middle, a small stove was alit. Yangfeng had her head lowered, looking at the baby in her arms. This child had far too much energy, just like his father, who only slept after much coaxing.

A sweet smile formed at her lips as she put the baby on a tiny blanket, wrapping him up carefully. Yangfeng softly sneezed as she sat by the window.

"Asleep?" Ze Yin moved in to face the two, carefully examining the sleeping child. He was used to picking up swords and killing, but seeing this delicate, newborn baby, he could only think that he would hurt him whenever he tried to cuddle him. He felt more afraid at his first time being a father than his first time being on the battlefield.

Yangfeng saw his expression and startled to chuckle softly, moving close to him, watching their child together. In a loving voice, she said, "Look at his nose and his little mouth. He looks just like a little Ze Yin."

"His face looks like his mother's." Ze Yin was joyous, "The son looks like the mother. He definitely has a promising future. Yangfeng, it's all thanks to you."

Yangfeng was stunned. "Thanks to me?"

"It's all thanks to you, otherwise, how was I going to have such a cute son?"

"What are you saying?" Yangfeng was both angry and pleased. Not wanting to wake the baby, she tugged at Ze Yin's sleeve. The two sat quietly on their seats, which were cushioned with thick fur. Yangfeng lowered her voice, "Does Husband think I'm too stubborn?"

"Why would I?"

"Yangfeng forced Husband to leave his post as the Main General, even leaving Bei Yali to settle down elsewhere. Yangfeng forced you to leave even though the snow hasn't stopped, not to mention that Qing'er isn't a month yet either. Having said that, that was far too stubborn of me."