19

The war drums rumbled against the ground.

The Dong Lin army was already stationed at the foot of Kanbu in orderly rows. The colour of blood seemed to be reflected in their eyes as their weapons flashed. They were ready to kill – just waiting for their commander.

With the command flag in the air and the sound of the whistle, the mighty army parted for their commander to pass through.

Pingting observed through squinted eyes, somewhere in a tall building.

On his horse, Dong Lin's main general, Chu Beijie carried his head held high. His confident figure looked more than ready to battle, his infamous sword was hanging by his waist and bow held against his horse.

He made his way through no man's land to the Kanbu gates when he suddenly glanced up. She glanced down and their eyes happened to meet, causing sparks. Immense excitement raged through both of them.

His army of a thousand horses and men wasn't afraid of anything, yet she continued to breezily sit inside the palanquin.

When Pingting felt the electric but fiery spark, her body seemed to have gone limp like energy had been drained from her limbs or as if her body was completely dry of blood. Her vision was temporarily blurred and her uncoordinated body was only stretched after clutching against a stone pillar.

Looking down, she couldn't see the soldiers standing at the Kanbu walls. She could only see those eyes which seemed to burn right through her.

Chu Beijie always made her lose her will, energy, and concentration. With a wry smile, she realised that she couldn't wait to see every inch of him once more. Little did she know that her body unconsciously took two steps forward.

"Be careful My Lady!" Cautioned Ruohan, the bodyguard ordered to stay by her.

Jolted out of her trance, she realised that she was standing at the edge. A few more steps could have sent her plummeting to her death.

"My Lady?"

Pingting came fully back to her senses. Right, she was the main military advisor. Kanbu's future, Bei Mo's future, even Yangfeng and her child's future were all in her hands.

The glow returned to her black pupils. She took brisk footsteps away from the edge to sit in front of the prepared ancient qin.

Calming her hands and spreading incense, she had done everything.

Pingting softly directed, "Pass on this command: continue to follow the plan."

"Yes."

From below, Chu Beijie's gaze never left the elegant figure in the palanquin.

She wasn't afraid of anything, just as he'd expected. Her indifference and bold movements were unique.

Moran finished his rounds before approaching Chu Beijie, whispering, "Duke, it really was her."

Looking up into the high palanquin, you could see her fine figure.

"She guessed it all right." Chu Beijie sighed.

"Should we immediately release the poisonous wasps?"

Chu Beijie was about to reply when he frowned.

Ping!

The sound of a qin floated down from the palanquin. Just one sound, crisp yet steady, moved the crowd like a needle striking their hearts.

Chu Beijie's strong gaze that could silence his army easily made a complicated expression towards the palanquin. His eyes were narrowed as he muttered, "The string broke."