Christmas Time

Out of some strange miracle, Louisa had a blast at her mothers house with her granny and she decided that she wanted to spend Christmas with them. But only on the condition that I come along too. Jesus Christ, please kill me now. I keep checking on the mail everyday to see if the assessment results have arrived. To tell you the truth, I am somewhat relieved that I will have to wait until after Christmas to find out. At least we can try to enjoy the festivities in heavenly peace. Mildred begrudgingly agreed to look after that mutant cat of Louisa's as Mel is allergic to cats, go figure. As an apology, I took Mildred with Louisa to Winter Wonderland where we spent the day going on those overpriced crappy rides, checking out the ice museum, drinking hot coca with marshmallows and cream, and eating chunky chips and chocolate lollipops. She is still giving me the cold shoulder, but at least we are on speaking terms. I might have to appease her and go on that blasted course as a New Years resolution. It might do me some good to get out of the house and make more friends other than Scooby Doo and Peppa Pig.

On the last day of school term, Louisa was cast as the Angel in the nativity. My mother accompanied me as my plus one, and as always, Mel declined. I have resigned myself to the fact that she will always be a part-time mother figure in Louisa's life.

Lou asked if I would crimp her hair for this big event. I'm not a hairdresser, but thank God for creating YouTube tutorial videos. With the help of that, I washed her hair and immediately braided it and left it overnight. When she untied it the next morning, it turned out terrific and I had one happy little girl. I helped her get ready with the costume that we created together. It's basically an old white linen nightie I grabbed from Morrisons, with a golden tinsel halo crowing her head. She wanted to wear makeup as well, like hell was I going to agree to that. Her mum should be here doing this, helping her get ready, playing dress up and doing things that a mother should do.

Just before the play started, I grabbed mum and I some red wine and some savory snacks from the canteen. Mum managed to snag two seats at the front of the audience. As I get comfortable and take my coat off, I catch some of the other parents staring with their disapproving, snotty  expressions. I stare them down until they are embarrassed enough to look away. Seriously, what the fuck have I done to them? Is it because I'm the only dad in a sea of mums? I'm not buying that gambling bullshit anymore. I try not to let this snobby bunch get the better of me and enjoy my daughters performance. I am biased, but as soon as Louisa enters the stage, she lights it up. She only has a couple of lines to say, but her delivery of them was pitch perfect. I'm so immensely proud of her and the confidence that she's had today. Throughout the entirety of it, mum kept nudging me and whispering how great she performed. She is full of mega pride for Louisa too. I would also like to hope that she is proud of me as well. Deep down she probably is, but she will never show it. I did offer her to come along to Nottingham with myself and Lou, but she rejected it straight away. Opting to help out at the local church by serving Christmas dinner to the homeless instead. Can't say I blame her, a potential relationship between my mum and Liz would be a disaster. They have never met and it's probably for the best. Two headstrong, tough ladies in one room. That's just asking for trouble.

I congratulate my little Angel as she comes bouncing over to us, still in her costume with a glowing smile on her little lips. The school day broke up early, so I decided to take her and mum for a lunch in an authentic Italian restaurant. Before I can even turn the ignition on, Mrs Rourke approaches the car in her thick cable red coat. I feel sick already.

"Merry Christmas to the McKenzie tribe!" She exclaims, waving to my mum in the seat next to me. I frown at her, tapping the steering wheel as a signal for her to hurry this conversation up.

"Mr McKenzie, I wanted to make you aware that Louisa has won pupil of the week," she hands me a certificate, that has a big golden star in the centre with Louisa's name on it.