04. A plan

9:30 pm: @Semaj2030 started following you.

Adenike banged her head—dreamily— on her desk. No sooner did the pain arrive, did she noticed the lingering, faint, irritation on her forehead.

Her short black hair wasn’t a coverage.

She couldn’t get tired of gazing at it. Each time she looked at the screen of her phone, she was convinced it wasn’t real.

But the one under the followers said otherwise.

Getting your first follower was something to celebrate. As soon as the bell rang—signaling that the hours at school were over—Adenike headed to her friend's house.

She didn’t ride with the twins, she got a ride from Aunty Bisi, Precious's mother, who was more than happy to have her spend the night with them.

Sleepovers were frequent. Half of Adenike's wardrobe was in Precious' room, the same applied to Precious.

Mia was out with Mr. Adesine—Precious' dad— on a trip to Precious' uncle's house. Something about Mia needing to get out much. Adenike saw no reason for such. Still, she kept her mouth shut. If the Rottweiler wanted a day off, then so shall it be.

Studies weren’t discussed. As far as Adenike was concerned, it was personal. If they had the same course and were in the same class. It could’ve pertained otherwise.

But the two studied different subjects and their classes were too far from each other.

The car ride was silent, the only sound that could be heard would be that of the red corolla whenever it jerked forward. Nothing was talked over among the friend. Not even Aunty Bisi who sat humming to a Nigerian song that Adenike probably knew nothing of the lyrics.

“How is Adaku?” Adenike tired of the silence asked. Ada was somehow the first person that came to her mind. Even though, their encounter didn’t go as planned. Adenike wanted to tease Precious.

“She is fine,” and it worked. By the look on Precious' face. She turned her head to the window and gazed lazily at the stores, hawkers, and the busy life outside. “Same as always.”

Adenike smiled.

“Aunty, did I tell you that Adenike is famous?” Precious called the attention of her mother. Whose eyes were on the road. For some reason, Precious calls her mom Aunty.

“Really?” she replied enthusiastically. Aunty Bisi was the funny type. Once she knew something embarrassing about you, she would hold it against you.

Adenike would never hear the end of it.

“Yeah. She has an anonymous fan,” Precious narrated excitedly, “Remember the time I told you about the site she joined for writers?”

Aunty Bisi nodded. “Wattpad,” she recalled.

“Yes, that one," she flipped her hands around her. And was facing her mom instead of the road. “Ade wrote her book, and got votes and comments.”

Ade shook her head, her best friend was exaggerating. Besides she had only one vote and comment not votes and comments as Precious said.

She was more worried about Aunty Bisi's reaction than that of Precious.

If Aunty Bisi paid no attention to her, it could’ve been over by now. But she was inquisitive in the talk.

She allowed her gaze to fall on the street. She watched numerous shops and admired the sky—the only thing she found stunning.  
She thought of Emilia. Did she enjoy car rides too? If she did, how frequent was she on one? And whether she too had a best friend?