14. Catching up with Mom

Adenike kept in touch with Joseph.

They talked often, but she never gave him the satisfaction that he was a help.

A major help in self-discovery.

When she was in Primary school, she was referred to by her classmates as a dork. That nickname stuck with her, when she was in Junior Secondary School she was dumb.

All those struggles she went through shaped her into someone better.

She discovered she had a passion for writing when she was ten. Wrote her first book when she was thirteen. By that time, she has written more than twenty short stories.

She sighed. It was harder than she thought it would be.

She had decided to let go of her Wattpad account. It was time she settled in for a career, and start living.

That day, she told Joseph about her plan.

“Marvelous,” he had said. They met in the computer lab.

“Do you live here?” she had asked. It was a question that stuck with her. What was he doing all the time among Computers? It was as if, he had no other life but them.

“Yes, I do,” he had replied. At that instance, Adenike realized how much the devices meant to him.

They were his home, and so was he to them.

Thinking back at his words, she concluded; that she, like Joseph, needed to find something she would dedicate her life to.

She had never thought of a career before, Careers are craved out of passion.

During breakfast, she asked Taiwo what he wanted to be in the future.

“A pilot,” he replied. He closed his eyes and devoured the food. Gross.

“What about you?” she asked Kehinde.

He looked at her, once, twice. Then he looked at Taiwo before his eyes settled on the cup of tea placed on the table.

“I want to be a medical doctor,” he shrugged his shoulders.

She shook her head in acknowledgment.

Despite hearing about their fantasies, she couldn’t come up with her own.

The writing was the only thing she did. Aside from reading.

But she never thought of that as a career.

Gazing at the ceiling of her room, Adenike wondered if she could be a writer. A real writer.

She didn’t need an online community to do so.

A lot of writers didn’t start by writing online. They were real writers.

If she could be a writer that would be nice. Adenike made up her mind, she would be a writer.
                                             —   — —

“What are your dreams?” she asked the stars. When they didn’t respond. She scoffed.

“You don’t have one because you are someone else's dream,” she declared.

She threw her hands in the air, pointing at them.

“You're amazing.” She smiled. Her life may be a mess, but the stars were there to help.

“I may not have a dream,” she started. “But I’m fine as far as you are with me.”

She closed her eyes and let her fantasies depict.