08. What's wrong with Grandma?

Rokibat went home late. She didn't just stay for lunch, she waited till dinner. Adenike said nothing, her grandmother had warned her against talking at the dining table.

She was seething inside. She couldn't wait for tomorrow so she could deal with her. She would have a personal talk, one that involves leaving her family affairs out of their project.

Not only was she assigned to a lazy partner, but she was also assigned to a clinger. She cringed at the thought.

"Take this." Her grandma dropped the pile of dirty plates on the table.

Usually, after lunch or dinner, Adenike's mother washed the plates. They could have hired a housemaid-Adenike's mother enjoyed washing the dishes.

Her grandma wanted to change that tradition, she ensured that Adenike washed the plates during her visit. Starting from today.

It would seem disrespectful to some, but her mom was the one who put the task on herself.

"Okay." She sighed and loaded the plates into the kitchen.

She opened the tap and soaked the dishes in the Zink. She added detergent and scrubbed.

Lost in thought, Adenike had been scraping the same plate for two minutes. The coverings were all clean, it was shining. Adenike hurriedly kept the ceramic plate away and reached for a plastic cup.

The last thing she needed was her grandmother scolding her for not paying attention.

"Wash them very well." Taiwo majestically entered the kitchen. He dropped the plates in the Zink, and that caused foam water to travel to Adenike's open mouth.

"Taiwo," she whisper yelled. By the time she was about to run out of the kitchen, so she could deal with him, he wasn't there.

When the plates were clean, and the kitchen not a single dust on it. Adenike was good to go. She sneaked through the hallway, carefully watching out for her grandmother. She didn't want to fulfill another task. When the coast was clear, and the ship ready to sail.

Adenike rushed out upstairs. Before she entered her room, someone tapped her on her back. She almost shouted. Her breathing was rigid.

"Who are you running from?" she asked. Her arms were folded, and she had a hard glare.

"No one." Adenike was sweating. "I'm just super tired after discussing the project with Rokibat."

"We need to talk." Her mother dragged her into her room and closed the door.

Since when did they need to talk? Adenike thought.

Her mom was acting strange, there wasn't any outstanding coalition between the two. Adenike lived her life and her mom did the same.

"Listen." She placed her hands on Adenike's knee. "Whatever your grandmother requested, do not object."

Adenike nodded her head. Besides no one dared to say no to the old woman, even Ade's father was too afraid to do so.

"She is going through a hard time." Her mom almost cried. It didn't justify the fact that she was on the floor.

"Okay." Ade was curious, what happened to her grandma? "What's wrong with grandma?"

She was afraid she crossed the line. Would it be like lunch, when she was forced to leave the room?

"She is sick, I thought I mentioned that." She stood up and walked to the door. "You have to promise me that no matter what, you will not disrespect her wishes."

"I promise."

-❣-

Thursday morning, Adenike made it to class without a certain someone disturbing her peace.