19. Jeremy's birthday

The next day as promised, her dad handed over the old copy of her grandfather's book.

Adenike observed the leather skin, the book was covered with dust.

She opened the first page slowly, it had her grandfather's name, Ekon. It read. Not even a middle name was there.

The book had no title, on the front page, there were illustrations of a world. Cartoon characters with clothes, Some were headless while a few were dressed in only a few clothing accessories.

Adenike observed that the characters were all black. Her grandfather must've written a black-based book.

Adenike didn’t sleep last night, she was so engrossed in the story to do anything else. The story was nice, she included. But the grammar and plot needed some work. She didn’t want to lose the original copy of her grandfather's book, so she would rewrite each sentence in a separate book and then type it when it was polished.

Adenike could’ve started right away, but she needed her father's opinion to do so.

So early in the morning, before her dad set up to work. She met him in the corridor. Adenike held the book in her hand firmly.

“Dad,” she gave her best puppy dog eyes. She stood awkwardly “Can I rewrite Grandpa's book? I would keep the original version the way it is.”

Her father couldn’t say no to her. He nodded his head and headed to the kitchen.

Blinded by joy, Adenike did a thing she never did before. She hugged her dad.

She didn’t wait to see his reaction, she dashed towards her room. Set her laptop and other writing materials she would need.

Adenike wished it was weekends. She wanted to start rewriting the story right away. On top of that, she needed a title.

“Emilia I’m sorry,” she began. She took the pink exercise book decorated in glitter and kept it on her bedside table. “I’m not abandoning you. I'm just keeping you away for a while.”

Adenike had an unbreakable perception of Emilia, she understood everything without her even trying to explain.

She tapped the book as if patting a kid on the head. Then ran into the bathroom to get ready.

Adenike was the first one to be up that morning, apart from her dad. She sat at the dining table waiting for food to be served.

She sipped her tea and watched her mother make breakfast.

“Can I help?” she asked. Her mother fluttered her away. Adenike went back and sat on the chair next to her dad.

“Did you start yet?” he asked. Adenike had never seen him excited. Maybe the thought of reviving his father's book was something he was looking forward to.

“Good morning Grandma,” Adenike greeted.

“Good morning mom,” her dad said to his mom. She dragged a chair and sat opposite dad too.

“Adenike will rewrite dad's book,” he told her.

Adenike was almost scared her grandmother won’t approve of that. She had every right to say no to her.

When the answer came, Adenike's inside fluttered and a thousand butterflies exploded.

“Sure.”

Those four-letter words were the beginning and end of everything.

—❣—

Mr.Abiola had never come in person to talk to her. Adenike was always the one who visited the staff room, and if he called. He would send a student to call her.