09. The missing pin

Rokibat demanded they went as soon as the bell rang for lunch break.

“But I'm hungry,” Adenike whined. She was so determined that at one point Adenike was convinced she was going to sell her body for ritual.

“We can eat on the way after the meeting,” she said. And when she saw Adenike's pleading eyes, she added. “ My treat.”

As if that was supposed to make her feel better. After a few minutes of whining and pleading, Adenike decided to go. She just had to eat as soon as the meeting was over.

As they walked through the hallways, Adenike pushed Rokibat aside. She made an ‘ouch’ sound.

“Why are we walking toward SS3 block?” she complained.

“And why did you pinch me?” Rokibat asked. She kept rubbing her back, even though it wasn’t the place she pinched, Rokibat liked to overstate things.

When they made it, Rokibat rushed towards the doors, she pressed her back on them. She watched too many crime series.

After a few minutes of acting around, and when Adenike was about to pass out from watching her. She pushed the door open. A senior appeared, she was talking to him. She said something and motioned to the class alphabet pasted on top of the wall, just right above them.

“Come on,” she yelled at her. Adenike watched the hall frantically, she was looking out for teachers. They could be taken to the Principal's office.

“I’m coming," she whispered. She walked as if she was afraid to touch the ground, Rokibat rolled her eyes at her childish behavior.

When Adenike caught up with Rokibat, she said nothing. Sometimes, it was best to keep quiet. Even her mom ignored the twins when their banter was too much.

“Here we are.”

They were standing in front of the computer lab. They must know how to operate computers very well. Adenike knocked on the door three times before it was opened.

A young guy stood, leaning against the wall. Even his uniform was different from others, while theirs had ash linen along the edge of the long sleeves, his were red.

“Hi, what do you need?” he asked. It was clear he was working on something before they showed up. “Nobody is allowed here except during Data Processing class.”

“Actually, we are here to see you,” she gestured towards Adenike. “My friend has something she wants you to look at.”

Adenike would have to scold her personally for calling her that. She wasn’t her friend. She had no idea why she kept introducing her as a friend.

“Come in.” He opened the door wide open. Adenike took notice of his combed hair.

She admired the room, it had lots and lots of desktops hooked to the base unit, and each of those had its keyboard and a mouse. She had never been to the lab before, that was because on each floor there was a lab. So SS1, SS2, and SS3 had their separate labs.

Adenike hoped with all her heart that everything goes well.

—❣—

“I don’t get why you have to tell everyone we meet, that I’m socially awkward.” Adenike threw hands by her side. She was facing Rokibat while also walking backward. Luckily for her, the hall was empty.

“I only told two people.” She was trying to clear her name, but Adenike knew better than that. She held her moving hands, “And can you please stop walking backward? Someone would notice you.”